Tower cooler idea / question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FearItself

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm building my first kegerator, and I'm going to make a tower for the taps out of black iron pipe. I understand that these towers can get warm between pours, causing foaming.

I've seen solutions that involve pumping cold fluid (or blowing cold air) up the pipe, but couldn't I just create a heat sink inside the fridge to get the same effect? I mean, extend the metal from outside the fridge to inside, and let the metal itself conduct the cold up (OK, conduct the heat down) and keep it cool.

Has anyone tried this? Did it work, or not? Can anyone think of a reason it wouldn't work, or some other drawback I'm not thinking of?

You can do that. I've seen some people run the line(s) inside copper tubing up into the tower. And have the copper tubes extend down into the kegerator to conduct colder air higher.

But, FWIW, I have a black iron pipe tower I built on my single tap kegerator. When I first built it I had plans to do something to cool the tower but honestly, I haven't needed it. The first pour might be a little more foamy, but it's nothing crazy. I've been using that kegerator for almost two years and haven't needed to cool the tower. YMMV.

When I first built it I had plans to do something to cool the tower but honestly, I haven't needed it.

Interesting. I guess I'll start by just making the hole for my hoses large enough that the air in the tower will connect with the air inside the fridge and see what happens. If I get too much foam, I can always modify it later.

Thanks.

I used 3/4 copper pipe with two 3/16 poly tubing lines from the kegs to the shanks. The tube is wrapped with insulation up to the tower, and runs 8" or so down into the kegerator. The beer pours reasonably cold from the start, and at a minimal cost. The tower itself (a generic chrome two tap tower I got for cheap) stays about room temperature as well.

The coper tube is a total waste of time.I rigged mine up with a tee inside the fridge for "maximum transfer"...then I removed it...made zero difference. Don't waste your time or money.

Your always going to get a warmer/foamier first pour no matter how hard you try. Pretty much every bar has the same issue and they pour for a living.
I just use the thin insulation wrap the tower came with and deal.

Deal with the warmish first beer and get a flow control faucet to adjust your flow and never look back....did I mention the flow control faucet....Get one...did I mention the flow control...get one...........................

Latest posts

Back