Toss Slow Yeast Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow you’ve really invested! My Maelstrom stir plate seems to be on the fritz. Kind of a bummer for $150
The best thing is, I didn't invest a dime on those shakers, they came from a friend who worked at a lab, they decommissioned stuff on a regular basis. These are the real thing, heavy duty, weigh 40+ pounds. They live on the floor or they'll shake the whole house.

Sorry to hear about your Maelstrom, for that price they should last a lifetime. What's wrong with it? Perhaps take it up with the manufacturer?

I glued a washer to the center of a variable-speed computer fan and stuck two little neodymium magnets to it for a stirplate. :D The only problem is, the stirbar sometimes spins out. I think that's because my flasks have slightly domed bottoms. I bought a beaker, thinking it might be flatter, but haven't tested it yet.
If there's good magnetic coupling, it should not throw the stir bar, even if there's a slight curvature. Get those magnets as close to the bottom of the flask as possible, and match the distance between them to the stir bar length.

The best thing is, I didn't invest a dime on those shakers, they came from a friend who worked at a lab, they decommissioned stuff on a regular basis. These are the real thing, heavy duty, weigh 40+ pounds. They live on the floor or they'll shake the whole house.

Sorry to hear about your Maelstrom, for that price they should last a lifetime. What's wrong with it? Perhaps take it up with the manufacturer?

There are no longer 5 speeds. You press the speed button and the spinner (not sure what else to call it) hardly turns and the speed button just flashes instead of staying solid. I haven’t looked into what the problem might be but I bought it well over a year ago so I doubt the warranty is still valid.

I skipped a bunch of the replies, but on my stirplate I more often get NO krausen than a thick layer. I look to the color mostly. It should go from a somewhat clear medium brown to an opaque creamy color. Think coffee with a good amount of cream.

The the final determination is to turn off the stirplate and/or cold crash and see what the layer of yeast that settles looks like.

I would say the first one was dumped unnecessarily.

I’m always amazed at the ingenuity of homebrewers. I mess up enough in the brewing process, I wouldn’t attempt something like that!
We have many threads on homebuilt stirplates, it's one of the easiest projects, using a computer fan and some neodymium magnets. A $10-20 project, and some ingenuity, yes, if that.

Now one should expect the Maelstrom to be 20 notches above most DIY builds and last a lifetime of brewing.
I'd still find out what warranty you got with it. Look for a fix, you can't be the only one?

If there's good magnetic coupling, it should not throw the stir bar, even if there's a slight curvature. Get those magnets as close to the bottom of the flask as possible, and match the distance between them to the stir bar length.

Thanks, I will see if I can shim the magnets to get them closer to the flask.

I have trouble throwing away a used Kleenex if it looks like it has one more use in it

i know i'm late to the party, but that's what a handkerchief is for....just throw them in with the laundry, also make a decent hat....

I skipped a bunch of the replies, but on my stirplate I more often get NO krausen than a thick layer. I look to the color mostly. It should go from a somewhat clear medium brown to an opaque creamy color. Think coffee with a good amount of cream.

The the final determination is to turn off the stirplate and/or cold crash and see what the layer of yeast that settles looks like.

I would say the first one was dumped unnecessarily.

You’re probably right. Live and learn like with all things brewing

We have many threads on homebuilt stirplates, it's one of the easiest projects, using a computer fan and some neodymium magnets. A $10-20 project, and some ingenuity, yes, if that.

Now one should expect the Maelstrom to be 20 notches above most DIY builds and last a lifetime of brewing.
I'd still find out what warranty you got with it. Look for a fix, you can't be the only one?

I bought it in June ‘18. Trying to find warranty but so far unsuccessful

I added 2 more magnets, and it doesn't throw the stirbar anymore. :ban:
Steel washers are a lot cheaper than magnets so I'll probably get another washer and glue it on top so the extra magnets can go back on the fridge.

I added 2 more magnets, and it doesn't throw the stirbar anymore. :ban:
Steel washers are a lot cheaper than magnets so I'll probably get another washer and glue it on top so the extra magnets can go back on the fridge.

What are steel washers going to do? It takes magnets to turn the stirbar.

What are steel washers going to do? It takes magnets to turn the stirbar.

The steel washer will raise the magnets up about 1/8 inch. I will still have magnets, just 2 or 4 instead of the 6 I have right now. The steel also keeps the magnetic flux out of the motor; these magnets are strong enough to maybe keep the motor from working.

The steel washer will raise the magnets up about 1/8 inch. I will still have magnets, just 2 or 4 instead of the 6 I have right now. The steel also keeps the magnetic flux out of the motor; these magnets are strong enough to maybe keep the motor from working.

Makes sense, if the magnets remaining are strong enough.

Just to clarify, the steel washer should be underneath the magnets. Together with the stir bar on top it closes the magnetic field for maximum coupling.

Just to clarify, the steel washer should be underneath the magnets. Together with the stir bar on top it closes the magnetic field for maximum coupling.

Yes I know that, I just stated it very poorly. The new washer goes on top of the old washer, and the magnets on top of that. The washers actually help a little by coupling the magnets into kind of a horseshoe.

Back