Torpedo Keg Owners - Wall Thickness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman2003

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

Just wondering if any Torpedo keg owners had a micrometer and could measure the outer wall of one of the kegs? If that is even possible... The manufacturer in China said the thickness was 1mm and I just wanted to verify as that sounds pretty thin (.039"). Thanks!

One can only wonder how a micrometer could measure keg wall thickness, understanding that the top of the keg (that a micrometer could measure) is welded to the shell.

Anyway, why does it matter? It's a keg.

Cheers!

I’ve got a micrometer and can measure the thickness near the lid. If you want to assume the wall thickness is the same as near the mouth?

There’s no way of measuring from inside to outside for wall thickness.

I just got one the other day (Slimline model) and its pretty thin. It had a tiny dent in it when it arrived, I asked them to send another and it came even more dented so I just kept the first. I probably wouldn't buy them again if I didn't need them for the extra space.

You'd need to find someone with access to some kind of long-reach caliper to measure the side-wall thickness. I don't think they seem particularly thin but both of mine are smaller capacity (1.5 and 2.5 gallon) so that might change the perception.

Torpedo keg has the same wall thickness with other standard commercial kegs and homebrew kegs.
Usually smaller kegs such as 10L and 20L are 1mm wall thicker,30L and 30L+ are 1.2mm wall thick,
Top and Bottom are thicker.This is a usual practice for standard commercial and homebrew kegs.

Thanks for your replies. If you think the handles are the same thickness as the chamber, that would be great have a measurement. If they are 1mm then that would match what was told to me. Cornies are supposed to be ~2.2mm, so the 1mm is las than half the thickness, but maybe they tested it and took the weight out. Thanks.

Bluelaker, I just read your post. There is so much conflicting info out there. I am looking at the 5 gallon Torpedo which is 9" in diameter. Is there a way you know this? Your info does match what the manufacturer states. Thanks.

You'd need to find someone with access to some kind of long-reach caliper to measure the side-wall thickness. I don't think they seem particularly thin but both of mine are smaller capacity (1.5 and 2.5 gallon) so that might change the perception.
They make them; tool and die shop work applications, but reliable one’s are expensive! Dial or now digital caliper type…

Bluelaker, I just read your post. There is so much conflicting info out there. I am looking at the 5 gallon Torpedo which is 9" in diameter. Is there a way you know this? Your info does match what the manufacturer states. Thanks.
If you need thicker wall thickness for special use,you may tell www.morebeer.com,maybe they may discuss with the
manufacturer,then make custom thickness for you,of course,maybe the price will be higher than standard thickness:)

Yes; use a synthetic measuring tape like ones used in tailor shop. Carefully measure the perimeter (circumference C) )of keg about midway up.

C = pi x D, so diameter would be: D = C/3.14

It’s not a measurement to the gnats arse, but how many significant digits do you need? If you need better accuracy there are methods to achieve that…

Cheers 🍻

Well, I am considering a project where I would be cutting the bottom off and welding to it, so I would like to know for the other part before I buy and cut. But that might have to be the only way fr a true measurement.

I think I misread .87mm to be .087 inches in a few places. 1mm seems to be the ticket. When I cut up a sanke it measured .063 inches, so it makes sense that a Cornie would be less thick.

Last edited:
This is a usual practice for any kegs:
1mm wall thickness for smaller kegs and 1.2mm wall thickness for bigger kegs,top and bottom are thicker.
You may cut a new corny keg,the wall thickness is not 0.087":)

Well, I am considering a project where I would be cutting the bottom off and welding to it, so I would like to know for the other part before I buy and cut. But that might have to be the only way fr a true measurement.

I think I misread .87mm to be .087 inches in a few places. 1mm seems to be the ticket. When I cut up a sanke it measured .063 inches, so it makes sense that a Cornie would be less thick.
Understand the dilemma. Problem with kegs is they may be sourced to several companies in China, and quality control (or more importantly the tolerances they can and do hold on the keg manufacturing...even from the same company).

I think you're probably right in that cutting the bottom off a specific keg may be the nnly way to find out. I'm not telling you anything you're not familiar with but the weld distortion on that thickness is going to be tough to deal with in my experience, so holding close dimensions may not be possible if you need them to be??

Cheers,

KBW.

Back