Top off water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCougfan97

Reaction score
I am looking at my 10 gallon batch of pliney extract clone and realizing I only have about 9 gallons in the fermenters. I think I miscalculated the hop absorption. I added the yeast and its been sitting in the fermenters for 16 hrs or so now.

Can I still add some filtered water without compromising my brew? I fear if I dont it will be too bitter because its a hoppy recipe.

It won't bet "too bitter because you will have a greater concentration of malt as well as hops. You might have a stronger flavor than you might want but it should still balance out. It all depends on you OG and if you hit the target there though.

My target OG was 1.070 and I ended up at 1.075. I should have checked that number last night as well...

Add water? If so how much?

My target OG was 1.070 and I ended up at 1.075. I should have checked that number last night as well...

Add water? If so how much?

If the recipe called for 10 gallons, then assuming your beer ferments out, you would be looking at adding a gallon. Use tools like beersmith or brewers friend to see what your OG/FG should be, or what it would change it to if you diluted to 10 gallons now. That's the only way you'll get an answer.

You could also give it taste after two or three weeks, and then decide then if it needs the dilution. It will lower your hop utilization a bit, but may be better than higher gravity with more hops. Only a taste will tell you that,but again, if your hydrometet shows out fermented out to what it should, diluting to 10 gallons should be closer to the beer you intended (just with slightly less IBU due to dillution).

But do not mess with it while its fermenting. Either dilute before or well after its done.

If the recipe called for 10 gallons, then assuming your beer ferments out, you would be looking at adding a gallon. Use tools like beersmith or brewers friend to see what your OG/FG should be, or what it would change it to if you diluted to 10 gallons now. That's the only way you'll get an answer.

You could also give it taste after two or three weeks, and then decide then if it needs the dilution. It will lower your hop utilization a bit, but may be better than higher gravity with more hops. Only a taste will tell you that,but again, if your hydrometet shows out fermented out to what it should, diluting to 10 gallons should be closer to the beer you intended (just with slightly less IBU due to dillution).

But do not mess with it while its fermenting. Either dilute before or well after its done.

Thanks that is what I needed to know.

Back