Too much pot? Biab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhickman55

Reaction score
Not that kind...

I'm about to purchase a BIAB pot mostly for 5 g batches. I want to make big beers mostly and possibly might move to 10 g in the distant future.

I'm worried about buying a pot that is too large for a normal 5 g batch. If I get a monster pot, will a 5g batch still be possible?

What size would you recommend for 5 g big beers?

I googled and got some great information, but I'm still confused.

Thanks,

John

If you think you may end up doing ten gallon batches go with a 15 gallon pot,it will work with any 5 gallon brew and you can brew ten gallon batches as long as they are not real high gravity without any problems(you could brew high gravity with a little creativity).

Well, if you go with a 10G pot, you won't have enough room for a 10G batch. That's just game over. You could maybe do 8 or 9 gallons, but that's about it. Although I don't do BIAB, I have done many 5G batches in a 15 gallon keggle with no troubles and I've never felt it was too big. (Especially after I got my first boilover on a 5.5 gallon batch!) A bag of grain in the mix will only increase the overall volume in your mash.

I'd definitely suggest a taller kettle (e.g. keggle, Blichmann, Bayou, etc.) such that the water is relatively deep within the kettle, so as to cover your bag well with water during the mash process.

Thank you for the replies. I'm going to try a 15 g bayou I think. I've got until next payday to decide for sure :)

Thank you for the replies. I'm going to try a 15 g bayou I think. I've got until next payday to decide for sure :)

I'm sorry to confuse you more but I bought the 20.5 bayou and IMO that is the one to get. It's not much more than the 15 gal. I make 5 gallon, 10 gallon, 10 gallon high gravity up to 11% and 15 gallon at about 6% with it. I'm not trying to promote my site but you can see it in action if you click on the link in my signature. I really think you should over-shoot your kettle size. It will really make sense long term and your brew day flexible.

Scoundrel, when you make a normal gravity 5 g batch in a pot that size, do you have trouble submerging the grains? That's the main thing in worrying about. Thanks for the info!

Scoundrel, when you make a normal gravity 5 g batch in a pot that size, do you have trouble submerging the grains? That's the main thing in worrying about. Thanks for the info!

No you'll be fine. Remember you're not splitting the water like you would in a traditional setup.

I typically do 6 gallon batches, leave about 1/2 gallon behind, with all of the break material in the kettle. 5.5 gallons end up in the fermenter and 5 to 5.25 gallons end up in the keg (or for bottling). The little bit of extra money to go to 6 gal is worth it to get nice clean beer in the end.

Here's a typical example:

For my typical 6 gallon batch I would add 8.62 gallons of water according to Beersmith, which is almost half the kettle. Once the grains are removed, you're looking at around 7.75 gallons pre-boil volume at 60 minutes. For a 1.050 beer, you'll need about 12 pounds of grain and 8.62 gallons is plenty of room for the amount of grains you'll have. Now, if you stepped it up to 1.070 (or 16 pounds of grain), the quart per pound ratio is about 1.5 gallons, which is plenty of water.

Oh and one more thing. The extra surface area of the wider 20 gal kettle will help you get a 6 gallon batch to boil quicker.

Good luck

Thanks man that's exactly what I needed. I appreciate your time and knowledge.

20 g here I come. I'm excited to start all grain!

Back