Too much hops, not enough creativity...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuu

Reaction score
I was given a lb of Cascade...I need to use some of this up.

I also have half a lb each of Citra and Amarillo, as well as a couple oz of Galaxy...

I need some suggestions on what to make with this. I'm relatively new to brewing (just about 6 months) and I do Extract, PM, or All-Grain, doesn't really matter to me. I am just not too familiar with everything to go making my own recipe, but I want something that will have relatively quick turnover time.

Thanks in advance for the help,
:mug:

You could go in many different directions with those. What do you like? A lot of people on here can give some great advice. No reason to brew something you don't like.

You could go in many different directions with those. What do you like? A lot of people on here can give some great advice. No reason to brew something you don't like.

I love beer in general. I have a Citra + Galaxy DIPA about to be kegged right now. I was thinking of a Pale Ale or even another IPA. But I would be open to something real off the wall with it too

I also have a bunch of Sterling I need yo get rid of as well but IDK how that will mesh.

I love beer in general. I have a Citra + Galaxy DIPA about to be kegged right now. I was thinking of a Pale Ale or even another IPA. But I would be open to something real off the wall with it too

I also have a bunch of Sterling I need yo get rid of as well but IDK how that will mesh.

I think the Sterling would possibly get lost with the other hops. Maybe save those for something else where they can shine.

Have you thought about doing a hop forward Amber/Red Ale? You can really have fun with the hops and learn a bit about balancing hop bitterness with specialty grains. APA's and IPA's are always fun too.

I noticed when starting my own recipes that it can be very informative to work your way up to hop blends. For example, I brewed a couple of SMASH beers and found out I'm just not too fond of single hopped beers. So I moved on to 2 hops, then 3, then 4. Right now I'm settled in at 3 to 4 hops in my favorite IPA. Now I'm looking for just the right blend.

I think the Sterling would possibly get lost with the other hops. Maybe save those for something else where they can shine.

Have you thought about doing a hop forward Amber/Red Ale? You can really have fun with the hops and learn a bit about balancing hop bitterness with specialty grains. APA's and IPA's are always fun too.

I noticed when starting my own recipes that it can be very informative to work your way up to hop blends. For example, I brewed a couple of SMASH beers and found out I'm just not too fond of single hopped beers. So I moved on to 2 hops, then 3, then 4. Right now I'm settled in at 3 to 4 hops in my favorite IPA. Now I'm looking for just the right blend.

Yea I figured with the Sterling. I have thought of a hop forward amber but have never done it. If anyone could point me in a good direction with a recipe with Citra/Amarillo that would be great.

Thank you guys very much for the suggestions so far.

As an experiment, I made a Belgian Blonde with Sterling and Saaz in the boil, some cracked corriander, a Belgian yeast strain, and dry hopped with Galaxy. Sounds weird, but it came out amazing!

More here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/galactic-blonde-341954/

Its definitely on my rebrew list for the summer.

Wow that sounds really cool. I made a basic little Belgian session blonde that was that and now the idea of galaxy dry hop on that sounds fantastic.

American bitter?

very light pale red ale brewed using maris otter as the base, biscuit malt and lot of flaked barley. (add some gypsum to the mash water).Low IBU, fermented with wyeast 1056 and dry hopped with cascade. Low level of carbonation(max 1,8 vol), so you end up with a pretty flat beer with cramy foam on the top (that's the reason I use lot of flaked barley)

American bitter?

very light pale red ale brewed using maris otter as the base, biscuit malt and lot of flaked barley. (add some gypsum to the mash water).Low IBU, fermented with wyeast 1056 and dry hopped with cascade. Low level of carbonation(max 1,8 vol), so you end up with a pretty flat beer with cramy foam on the top (that's the reason I use lot of flaked barley)

This is an interesting one. I would have never thought of a beer like that.

See this is why I love this forum

Latest posts

Back