Too much foam from my keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerngolfguy

Reaction score
Hi there,

Been brewing for 10 years now and have recently a started kegging instead of bottling. I am having issues with getting too much foam from my beer. I have my temp close to 36 degrees, a 10ft hose (1/4 inch) and I am having to keep the pressure under 10psi so I don't get a glass of all foam. According to the pressure calculators I have been finding on-line I should be able to go up higher with no issues. This is posing a problem as I want my beer to have more carbonation but can't turn up the pressure. Is there a particular way to position the hose in the kegerator? Any other theories?
Thanks,

If your ten foot beer line truly is 1/4" inside diameter, that's likely 98% of your problem.

At that length it needs to be 3/16" diameter. I'd wager what most HBT folks eventually end up with is at least 10 foot runs using 3/16" ID PVC beer line (eg: Bevlex-200), some of us use 12' of the same line, and a bunch use 20 feet or longer runs of barrier-lined tubing (eg: Bev Seal Ultra Series 235).

There are a bazillion purported "beer line length calculators" on the web, and 99% of them will lead the innocent user to the same 5 foot runs of 3/16" tubing. Then those victims will come here, start the inevitable "Help! My Pours Are All Foam!" thread, and the veterans of that process will all say the same thing:

"Change to at least ten feet of 3/16" id line!"

Or...you could avoid all that and just go to the one site that will in fact lead you to perfect pours with a properly balanced system...

Cheers!

Back