too much dark grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziggy13

Reaction score
Doing my first all grain stout. Does this recipe contain too much roasted grains?

13 lbs pale us 2-row
1 lb coffee malt
1 lb roasted barley
8 oz chocolate malt
8 oz black patent
1 lb maltodextrin
1.5 oz german magnum (60 mins, 13.6% aa)
1 oz cascade (30 mins, 5.5% aa)
.5 oz cascade (3 mins, 5.5% aa)
2 oz cascade (leaf, dry hop)

Irish Ale starter WLP 004

Yes. Good lord, yes.

Get rid of the coffee malt and the black patent. Reduce the roasted barley to 8 oz, increase chocolate malt to 1 lb. Too much roasted grain, especially many different kinds of roasted grain, will give you a harsh flavor that is not the coffee flavor you want in a stout.

Also, as far a hop schedule goes.... you need to seriously cut back on the magnum to about 0.5oz. Also, it seems silly to dry hop a stout, especially with 2oz.

With the way your recipe looks now, I'd call it a "Burnt Toast Black IPA." :D :D

But seriously, just a bit of tweaking needs to be done. Learning to build your own recipes can been a lot of fun but there some just some nuances you need to look out for. Check out brewing programs, such a BeerSmith, to help you out.

Holy F@%k. I think you have to much hops but that's it. I have a recipe really similar to this but I use a pound each: black patent, roasted barley, chocolate wheat, and belgian coffee malt along with 7 other grains and 20# of base malt. It's surprisingly sweet and the astringency is much more balanced than you'd think. I only use two ounces of hops (magnum @ 15.2% aa) for 45 min during the boil for a total of 54.4 IBU in ten gallons so without knowing specifically what you're doing I'd say just think about your hops and what kind of stout you're trying to make here.

I'd say scale back the roasted and coffee by 4-8oz each and throw in a pound of dark crystal to give it a more malty backbone. Consider using just an ounce of Magnum, and just and ounce of Cascade for the dry hop, just for better balance. Sounds tasty to me!

Holy F@%k. I think you have to much hops but that's it. I have a recipe really similar to this but I use a pound each: black patent, roasted barley, chocolate wheat, and belgian coffee malt along with 7 other grains and 20# of base malt.

Dude are you kidding me? What you posted seem like a recipe for a 10 gallon recipe and it could be misconstrued as what you do for a 5 gallon batch. Please don't post misleading advise.

I have BeerSmith, and according to it the amount of hops I'm using I'll get 67.5 IBU's which is within the 35-75 IBU's BeerSmith suggests for an American Stout.

I've never dry hopped a Stout, but I thought maybe it would give a nice aroma to a stout. Not sure if any commercial breweries dry hop their stouts, but I'm going to give it a try.

I did a Toasted Chocolate Porter last month with the following grains and it turned out amazing:

9 lbs US 2 row
1 lbs Crystal 10l
1 lbs Choclate
8 oz Aromatic
8 oz Black Patent
8 oz Carafa III

Since there was 2 lbs of roasted grains in this, I figured 3 lbs of roasted grains in a stout might be about right...I do have some Crystal 120L laying around, maybe I could replace the Black Patent with Crystal 120L...

Dude are you kidding me? What you posted seem like a recipe for a 10 gallon recipe and it could be misconstrued as what you do for a 5 gallon batch. Please don't post misleading advise.

Um. Yeah. It is a ten gallon batch that I was talking about. His could be too and it would come out around 1.043 beginning sg. So he would be a little the under theguidelines for a sweet stout. Or right in the middle of the range for a classic dry irish. So who's being misleading? Like I said, my recipe is similar. I didn't say to use it. Relax man.

too much... I don't think so...

my latest recepie had 700grams Roasted (1.5lb), 300 Chocko and 200 Chocko wheat. Total grain bill 7.7kg for a 5 gallon batch.

It is roasted yes, a little to much, but still good and nowhere near "way too much".

7 ounces of hops incl. 2 for dry hops. Mainly Centennial, Magnum and Golding, not too hoppy either.

Maybe my taste has just evolved or wants to be challenged more, alongside the brewing "hobby" turning into an obsession.

But if you don't want to offend any "regular" beer drinkers, scale the coffee and roasted down to half. And in my opinion keep the hop schedule or UP UP UP the hops :)

Back