Too much carb!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptadennis

Reaction score
The last two beers (2 hearted and an IPA) have had so much head that it does not matter how slow i pour or how i tip the glass. it is a REALLY thick head that takes FOREVER to go down!! I know carbonation and head is good but I would consider it excessive. Have i used too much priming sugar? I think they are a partial mash (i steep the grains but still add extract). It tastes great but this is where i need some improvement.

How long was your beer in bottles for before you had one? What temp were they being stored at? And how long did you put them in the fridge before you opened one?

They were stored between 68-70deg for right at a week then put in fridge over night. I usually keep all my beer at room temp until i want a few then just put what i want in the fridge. The 2 hearted I had yesterday has been at room temp for about a month prior to a few hours in fridge before drinking.

What was your process for adding priming sugar? Was it mixed into the batch or was it per bottle? How much sugar did you use?

ptadennis said:
They were stored between 68-70deg for right at a week then put in fridge over night. I usually keep all my beer at room temp until i want a few then just put what i want in the fridge. The 2 hearted I had yesterday has been at room temp for about a month prior to a few hours in fridge before drinking.

Try leaving a few in the fridge for a day or two then drinking. Could just need more time at fridge temps for the beer to equalize the pressure in the headspace in the bottle. So by opening too soon you get a quicker release if the pressure from the headspace causing the co2 to rapidly leave solution and make more head than desired.

You said that you had them at 68-70 degrees for right at a week, then put in the fridge overnight?

If this is the case, the beer needs at least 3 weeks to carb up and condition properly. It sounds to me like they just weren't "ready" yet.

Back