Too much bad yeast a bad thing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewslikeaking

Reaction score
Im making a 2.5gallon imperial stout. About 11%abv. I made a starter with 1.5L & 5oz of dme. I dont know how well it worked. Because i only began the starter exactly 24hrs before the brew began. Im currently mashing and the starter is in the fridge. I hope it will will be enough but im always paranoid about my starters because i never see them bubble. I have an old packet of liquid yeast which i accidentally froze. Same type of yeast as i made the starter with. Is there any harm im throwing in the once frozen yeast? Is it better not to decant the starter if your not sure about your starter?

A few things here.

Im making a 2.5gallon imperial stout. About 11%abv. I made a starter with 1.5L & 5oz of dme.

If you are making a starter, you should always check your count needs vs expected outcome using a yeast starter calculator. MyMalty.com or Brewer's Friend

I hope it will will be enough but im always paranoid about my starters because i never see them bubble.

Do you use a stir-plate? If so, that really isn't a concern. I make monster starters that result in a huge cake and see little to no activity on the surface due to the speed of the whrilpool. On the other hand, when I was making starters without, you SHOULD see activity. Check the age of the yeast before you start (Also using tools above) you may have yeast that isn't very viable, and you pitched a very low number of usable cells.

I have an old packet of liquid yeast which i accidentally froze.

Dump it. "OLD" - Greater than 6 months, you may not have anything living even if kept in optimal conditions. Again, check the tools mentioned above. "Froze" - a smack pack is 7 bucks, dry pack 3 bucks, not worth loosing a batch of beer over.

Is it better not to decant the starter if your not sure about your starter?

No right or wrong here. My personal preference is to decant, but if I am short on time (starter the night before) I just pitch the enter 1.5-2L worth into my fermentor (11 gallon batches) both ways make great beer!

Thanks thats everything i wanted to hear. I did use the online calculations but as i said im always jus paranoid when i see little to no activity in the starter.

Latest posts

Back