Too many kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krambeck

Reaction score
So I bought 3 kits, 1 extract and 2 milled grain. Now I am wondering what I need to do with these, and how do I keep them so they don't go bad? Do they all need to go into the fridge? Freezer?

Right now, I have the yeast in the fridge, and the rest of the stuff in the basement (~62 degrees).

Also, will the extract (liquid) kit go south before the grains? Do I need to brew it first?

Ideally, I'm planning on trying to get them all brewed in the next couple of months.

Put the grains in either the fridge or freezer. If you have a Food Saver, you could vacuum pack the grains. IF they're sealed up nice, then you probably won't need to re-seal them. I would chill them down though. Or just brew the grain recipes over the next 4-8 weeks then the extract kit as you like...

IF I had a choice, I'd brew at least every two weeks... So, I'd blast through three recipes pretty fast... Actually, I'd probably get all three done within a month. :rockin: Good way to get your pipeline in order... Plus, you'll have plenty of time to let them become great... :D

Get brewing! The milled grains should keep fine as long as they are cool and in a sealed bag. Do the extract first, then the grain kits.

Do one every two weeks. Buy another carboy and bucket if you need it.

Thats the plan, at least right now....

1st batch just got moved to secondary (ok, so im piling up here pretty quick), so primary is open. Picked up a 'starter kit' w/ a 30qt stainless pot off of CL for $30, so have another one sitting there bored too.

If it wasn't my first AG, I MIGHT try 2 in a weekend, but I think that might be pushing in.

Wife is already thinking I'm going overboard here ;)

Keep the hops in the fridge too. I think your grain should be fine in your basement.
The extract liquid should be OK, it has likely been stored for a while before you got it.
Good luck, keep brewing!

I stored milled grain in a sealed bucket in a cool dry place for about 3 months and it ended up getting rancid, ruining my mash. Get to brewing sooner than later to avoid suffering the same fate as me.

Latest posts

Back