Too many chemicals bad news?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack_O

Reaction score
I'm just getting into homebrewing and recently made an American Pale Ale. Got some great reviews from the taste of the beer. I myself was just a little disappointed by the appearance of the beer.

It was quite hazy which is obviously not what we want for a pale ale as most are quite clear.

I've done abit of browsing on the Web and found some Irish moss and also wort clarifier to use for when I next brew that beer (or any clear finishing beer) and hope it has the intended impact.

I've not delved into water science yet and all the chemicals in relation to PH level etc and generally just use 3/4 bottled still water and 1/4 tap water. Maybe this has an effect on clarity of the beer?..

My point to this is do all the chemicals you add to your homebrew only enhance it or can it have an negative impact also if you're not right with your maths.

As I say, new to brewing so any tips on achieving the best clarity to an ale and also in relation to water chemistry would be much appreciated.

Yours may be more of a high Alkalinity problem than a minerals level problem. You need an analysis whereby to determine your mg/L (sort of ppm) level of "Alkalinity as CaCO3".

Back