too many additions of nutrient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshow

Reaction score
So it's my first time making mead, and I kind of glanced at a few recipes, but with a busy week, I probably haven't paid as much attention as I should have.

First off, I'm using wash off from crush and strain comb, so I don't know my honey to water ratio. But the brix measured in at 23.5, and I've only got a gallon.
I didn't really want to use extra honey to step feed for a slightly sweet mead, so I used a full packet of 71B, hoping for the finish at 14% to leave some sweetness.
I've been feeding Wyeast nutrient, starting with 1/4 tsp, then dropping down to maybe 1/8 or 1/10 tsp (eyeing it :p) while stirring off CO2 every day for the following 4 days, since I had read to do that for 3-4 days. Now the brix reads 9.5, which I realize is not completely accurate, due to alcohol content, but I think I've used up more than the 1/3 sugar that, on further reading, I should have stopped at.
It's currently bubbling away, at about 70° (a person with two thermometers never knows what the temperature is - and yeh, they've both been calibrated at boiling, they still don't agree at lower temps - so if anyone has a recommendation on a good thermometer that doesn't cost $100, lemme know! though i am close to breaking down and getting a thermapen!)

So what's the worst case scenario for feeding too much nutrient? Is it even too much?
I'm guessing I will either have my yeast go way over 14%, and/or I'll get nutrient off-taste - which should mellow with extra aging?

Also, I'm hearing different things in terms of aging. 71B should be a quicker finishing decent tasting mead - and by quick, I'm guessing a year or two (three months til bottle, plus extra aging)? But does that mean i shouldn't bother aging it longer (assuming no off-taste from too much nutrient)? Since it's meant for whites and blushes, and you don't really age those for more than 3-4 years....
also, any advice on how to make a sweet sparkling mead? i could always keg carbonate it i guess, but i don't want to lock up my keg for that long. or maybe i could just bring a small jar of honey with me whenever i wanted to crack open a bottle of mead, and just add it at the time of drinking, the way the belgians do with faro...

Latest posts

Back