Too long in fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilotgarren

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm brewing my first batch soon and will be out of town for 4-5 weeks. I was hoping to brew it before I leave and let it ferment while I'll be gone. It will be at a friends house so they can keep an eye on it. Is it bad to leave it in the primary fermenter for that long? The kit is Midwest's Autumn Amber Ale which they say to primary for 5-7 days and secondary for 2 weeks. I guess I could always buy a different kit that requires more time in the fermenter if it comes to that. Thanks in advance for your recommendations!

Kit instructions always rush things. You'll be just fine leaving the beer. In fact, it'll probably be better than it would if you followed the instructions to the letter.

4-5 weeks is perfect. May turn out to be your best beer ever.

Probably will be, it's his first.

To the op, 4-5 weeks IS perfect. Skip secondary and bottle when you get home. Read up on longer primary vs. Primary/secondary, and see what ya think, base your ferment times in the future on that instead of kit instructions.
Welcome to the hobby!!!!:mug:

I sure hope it goes well, been reading up on the forums here and have learned a ton. But until I do it, then I can't make my case.

Thanks for the help everybody. I figured it would be fine for it and I think I'm in the non-secondary club.

Thanks again for the all the help.

No prob man. These forums are great, I've learned at least as much from members and info here as I have from reading books. There's a bunch of experienced brewers with great advice. :mug:
And always RDWHAHB, you're gonna make good beer, it's inevitable. :tank:

Latest posts

Back