Too late to save my big Doppelbock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlm3

Reaction score
Earlier this spring I brewed a big doppelbock (OG 1.102). I started with Norther Brewer's doppelbock extract kit and added some extra DME and some light brown sugar to up the gravity. Right before it I brewed a Bavarian Dunkel and repitched some slurry (about 400 ml) from that into the doppelbock, using the Mr. Malty calculator to determine the volume to repitch. I used Wyeast 2206 - Bavarian Lager. According to my notes, fermentation was a bit slow to start, about 2 two to really get going, but appeared to be going fine and showed activity for about two weeks. I started low, at about 48 degrees F, then ramped all the way up to 64F by the end. It was in primary for 3 weeks, before transferring to secondary for lagering for about 4 months. I kegged (and force carbed) it about 6 weeks ago and just tapped it two days ago. Apon tasting it had a nice flavor, but waaay too sweet. I took a few ounces in a glass and sat it out overnight to warm and de-carb, the hydrometer read 1.065.:( Obviously it's way too under-attenuated.

So, is there any chance to save this? Could I transfer it back to a carboy and pitch more yeast? What would the impact of allowing it to warm, decarb, referment, then recarb be? If this can be done, what yeast should I use? Should I aerate again, or just hope there's enough oxygen pickup from the siphon and minor splashing in the carboy? Ideally I'd prefer to use a dry ale strain such as Nottingham to avoid having to do another starter and lagering, but that's not out of the question if necessary.

Any tips and shared similar experiences would be appreciated!

Thanks!
-D.L.

Latest posts

Back