Too Fast Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundog14

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, I hope that I'm not wasting anyone's time on this.
Last Sunday I made a Porter using Omega British Ale VIII (no starter) and my typical "modified open fermentation" (12 gallon brew kettle with lid slightly ajar). The OG was 1.061. After ~ 3.5 days I transferred it to a 6 gallon carboy on top of 3 oz. of toasted coconut that had been soaked in an ounce or two of vodka. The SG was 1.014 (recipe called for FSG of 1.019). Typically when following this procedure, I will get a certain amount of fermentation in the secondary. However, this time, the airlok is barely bubbling and I'm concerned about having carbonation problems during bottle conditioning. Did the coconut/vodka affect the yeast? Should I just not worry about this and bottle in a week or so?
Thank you, Tom

Time is never wasted when helping others. :)

Check your gravity after 5 days, and again 2 days later. No movement? Should be good to go!

I don't foresee any issues with bottle carbing this batch. Airlock activity is not a reliable gauge.

:mug:

Highly doubtful any yeast issue caused here, unless you are approaching the alcohol tolerance of the yeast. You can always add some CBC or other dry yeast prior to bottling. I would be more concerned hat you moved it too late. You want some active fermentation going into secondary for oxygenation​ reasons. If you ever run into this again, you can add some sugar water to the beer about a half hour before transferring it to help scrub some o2 and purge he headspace. Won't take much.

Thank you for the replies. I guess that I'll let it sit for a few days and bottle this weekend.
k1ngl1ves, we were working in the Lockport area two weeks ago. If we're down there again, any suggestions for a good brew pub?

Thank you for the replies. I guess that I'll let it sit for a few days and bottle this weekend.
k1ngl1ves, we were working in the Lockport area two weeks ago. If we're down there again, any suggestions for a good brew pub?

Lockport sucks. There is one pretty great place though. Embers Tap House. It might be the nicest place in that dump town. Lol! Not a brewery.

Breweries (Ranked by me):

1. Pollyanna. Lemont I think. Really good! All around amazing! Close to Lockport.

2. Hailstorm. Tinley Park. Great! No food... but you can order in. Lol! I think they're still dog friendly too.

3. Tribes. Mokena and Tinley Park locations. They have crazy beer on tap. Rare stuff too. Food is top notch. Their homebrew is fantastic as well.

4. Arrowhead. New Lenox. Really good food, and good beer prices. The lobster mac is top notch! Their beer is average to above. Not consistent, but the prices and food are great.

You could always drive 25 minutes to 3 Floyd's too. What's not to like about that?!!!

Liquor stores:

The best is Kenwood Liquors. Multiple locations. They have everything in the distribution area at great prices. Everything.

The Open Bottle. Located right off I-80 and Harlem in Tinley Park. Crazy good selection there too! Plus, they give samples, and you can break up packs and only buy 1 bottle/can if you want to just try something new.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back