Too Earlt to Worry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmk1012

Reaction score
I "smacked" a Smack Pack (Wyeast 2035) 24 hours ago in preperation for my starter tonight. It has not swelled at all, I'm brewing a Lager on Saturday and feel like I'm running out of time. It is in my ferm chamber at a steady 65F.

Of course, I thought that I hadn't when I realized it had not taken off yet. But upon further inspection it was "smacked". Should I go ahead with my starter using this yeast or just scrap it for another week?

Try making the starter and see if the yeast propagate, meanwhile order some dry yeast packs for ale and lager and keep them in the fridge for back-up...

I already bought another yeast packet, coincidentally the original pack swelled up. Looks like a 12 gallon brew day tomorrow! Will be my first, at least I'm prepared this time.

Not to cause you alarm, but a single inflated pouch of wyeast is nowhere near enough yeast for a lager. You need probably 4 times the # of cells you're pitching. if it were me, I'd delay brewing by a few more days and make a real starter from the swollen yeast package.

Back