Too cold for ale fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bravo11

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about 6 months now, ales only. I just bottled an extract kit London Porter, my second London Porter kit. All my fermentations have been in the back room of my house. I have a digital thermometer with probe against the outside of the carboy and prior to this last batch the temps have been in the high 60's low 70's. This batch has been fermenting at low 60's. My starting grav was .053 and finished at .021 fter 3 weeks in the carboy. This is different than the other batches. Could the colder temps affect the ale yeast and not make it as efficient? The bubbler was active for less than a week.

Maybe. It could also be that the extract porter kit used a less attenuative yeast, and it could be that you used less fermentables in this kit.

I always do my ales at about 60-64 degrees, and I've been happy with that. It's not the ambient temperature, that's the temperature shown on the stick on thermometer on the side of the carboy. It's usually a bit colder in the room.

Latest posts

Back