Tons of Rye, Huge Grain Bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithmd4

Reaction score
50% rye, shooting for 1.090, in an 10 gallon round cooler with false bottom.

Is this a good idea? No, no it is not.

For those with wild ideas like myself, a pound of rice hulls for 21lbs of grain is not enough. I'm blowing through my 2nd hour of sparging now, but I will defeat this beast for I grow stronger with every stir of this cement mash.

So note to self and anyone with balls/lack of brains to attempt something similar: you should probably* use more rice hulls and do a beta glucan rest. And a mash out. Maybe.

This is going to be a tasty beer, but quite the challenge at the moment.

*I mean definitely. You should definitely do that.

Line your mash tun with Swiss voille curtain material and when the runnings stop running pull the curtain material together at the top to form a "bag" and lift it. That will give you much more filter area. If it still won't run, squeeze the wort out of it. You can do this with 60% rye in the mash.

Interesting idea. I have a feeling this will be a repeat brew, so I may have to try that next time. Only took 3 hrs and getting the grain bed past 160* halfway through, but I got there!

Missed gravity by a few points but was within my accepted margin since this is my 1st time maxing out the mash tun.

Anyone else have any tricks for maxing out with rye?

Latest posts

Back