To re-rack or not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJack887

Reaction score
I have a 3gal. batch of cyser in secondary that is approaching the two-month mark. It's been clear enough to read through since the first month, so I'd like to bottle ASAP ("re-rack" date). It has the usual lees, but I've bottled after two months for two other (1gal.) batches and I have no sediment in those bottles. Would it be absolutely necessary to re-rack into another carboy (I'd have to buy another), or should I bottle as usual? Thanks.

Typically I do rack to a bottling pot first, because I usually add sweeteners to a cider or cyser and it's easier to do that in bulk. But as long as you're not greedy when you stuff the siphon in there, you can bottle with a bit of lees in the secondary jug. Put the jug on the table or counter the night before and let any disturbed lees settle, and watch how close you come to it when you bottle.

Latest posts

Back