To MLF or Lysozyme?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocochoco

Reaction score
So I've been making apple wine for a long time now. I always let it go through MLF and I know British ciders go through MLF.
My question is, as I would like to start making small batches to use in my 1 gallon keg, would preventing it with lysozyme give it a more apple-like bite? Would you suggest MLF anyways? Should I just use natural apple flavoring instead of lysozyme?

Malic acid is the flavouring used in sour candy, it has quite a sour taste which is why they want to get rid of it from red wine. By itself it doesn't really give more apple flavour, it contributes to the flavour of apples. You could try a batch with lysosome or get a bottle from a previous batch and experiment with small additions of malic acid to see if you like the result.

I have 4 unopened apple wines right now I can try it with but their ABV is 15% so it wont be the same I suppose.
Guess I can do some bench tests with a 6% cider and see.

I've read adding extra lactic acid is a better option.
I guess I have some experimenting to do

Latest posts

Back