To mash or not to mash - Maris Otter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boyogold

Reaction score
Hello to all fellow brewers.

I'm trying to brew a clone for a Young's Special London Ale. I just recently had one of these for the first time and it was fantastic IMO. Aaaanywho...the recipe I'm looking at is characterized as an 'extract w/ grain'. It's calling for about a pound of Maris Otter malt. My thing is this...I thought Maris Otter had to be mashed. The recipe only mentions it should be steeped for 45 min and that's that.

Is this actually giving me anything? Should I assume partial mash? Should I assume they're talking about maris otter extract? Although I've never done it before, I've got no problem partial mashing if it's going to make this better. Thoughts?

It sounds like they are using the Marris Otter as a specialty grain. All you need to do is crush it with a rolling pin or something and then steep it in the water at a temperature not higher than 170 degrees. It will add flavor and color to the water as well as give your beer some body.

Do a partial mash. Just keep it at a temp of 150°-155° for thirty minutes or so, and you'll get some sugars converted rather than just rinsing out starches.

Very strange, as MO is a base malt. Mashed as the majority of the bill, it has some interesting qualities. I can't imagine what they would be expecting to pick up just by steeping it. On the other hand, 45 minutes at 156F is a mini-mash. So, that's how I'd brew it.

Thanks for the tips. Basically I think that you guys are saying that if I do what the recipe calls for (45 min at 153F), I'm technically mini-mashing this thing anyway, just based on the fact that I'm using MO, correct? I'm already rinsing off with 170F water after the steep, so I feel like I'm already on my way there in concept.

Thanks for the tips. Basically I think that you guys are saying that if I do what the recipe calls for (45 min at 153F), I'm technically mini-mashing this thing anyway, just based on the fact that I'm using MO, correct? I'm already rinsing off with 170F water after the steep, so I feel like I'm already on my way there in concept.

Yes, that's right. A "steep" for 45 minutes at 153 degrees is a mash. What's the rest of the recipe? It's very strange to just have MO with extract.

So 'steeping' and 'mashing' is kind of like 'snifters' and 'tulips'...just depends on what's in there...

The only other grain it's asking for is a lb of crystal 60L

So 'steeping' and 'mashing' is kind of like 'snifters' and 'tulips'...just depends on what's in there...

The only other grain it's asking for is a lb of crystal 60L

Well, the crystal can go in with the MO and you have yourself a mini mash.

The difference between steeping and mashing is not so much technique, it's what's actually going on inside chemically. The starches are being converted into fermentable sugar. With a mini mash, it's more important to watch time, temperature, and amount of water (for the ph) than with simply steeping.

I'd use 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain, and mash at 153 for 45-60 minutes.

Don't ignore that last point... Don't put that pound of malt in like 2 gallons of water. You'll dilute the enzymes to the point where they'll become ineffective. Stick with 1-2 quarts per pound.

Well, the crystal can go in with the MO and you have yourself a mini mash.

The difference between steeping and mashing is not so much technique, it's what's actually going on inside chemically. The starches are being converted into fermentable sugar. With a mini mash, it's more important to watch time, temperature, and amount of water (for the ph) than with simply steeping.

I'd use 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain, and mash at 153 for 45-60 minutes.

Well...as it turns out...the recipe says to put all grains in a steeping bag steep at 153F in 3qts of water for 45 min. Since I've got a lb of MO and a lb of crystal, I'd say I've already mini-mashed and didn't even realize it.

Thanks again. That's one more barrier that I thought would be a little higher on my way to AG.

I'm nothing if not careful, though, and I'm all over time and temperature like an AM radio station, so I think this should turn out to be good and tasty.

Back