To Kill or Not to Kill... Sacch Yeast before fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambleside

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am doing a kettle sour with L. Brevis, boiling to kill it, then brewing a sour session pale ale (only hops are whirlpool mosaic). The yeast for primary is The Yeast Bay NorthEastern Abbey (not brett or bugs)

I want to incorporate fruit (debating between guava or pomegranate... Likely guava).

In one article I have read that I should rack onto fruit and NOT use camden tablets, potassium sorbate, or potassium metabisulfite. Unless I basically want it very sweet and the equivalent of adding juice to the finished beer).
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2009/11/brewing-sour-beer-at-home.html

In another article, I read I would basically get a wine like flavour, added ABV, and essentially no fruit flavour if I don't kill the yeast.
https://www.beersyndicate.com/app/Tutorial/Details/47

What do I want? obvious fruit flavour, but not necessarily super sweet. Definitely don't want to have to think hard to taste the fruit, and I want no wine like flavour.

If you recommend killing the yeast, what do I use of the 3 mentioned products? I'm guessing some (or a combination) are for killing lacto/pedio as well. I just need to kill off the sacch.

Cheers!

I would recommend fermenting out the beer with your NE Abbey strain, then racking the beer to a secondary with the fruit. You will want to wait at least four weeks (in my experience) for the yeast in the beer to ferment out the sugars in the fruit. When I add fruit to beer I want the fruit flavor, not the sugar. I don't use anything to inhibit the fermentation of the fruit sugars because I don't want residual sweetness from the fruit - I want a sour, fruity and dry beer at the end of the day. Hope that helps.

I would recommend fermenting out the beer with your NE Abbey strain, then racking the beer to a secondary with the fruit. You will want to wait at least four weeks (in my experience) for the yeast in the beer to ferment out the sugars in the fruit. When I add fruit to beer I want the fruit flavor, not the sugar. I don't use anything to inhibit the fermentation of the fruit sugars because I don't want residual sweetness from the fruit - I want a sour, fruity and dry beer at the end of the day. Hope that helps.

Totally agree with what your saying for desired profile. Only thing I was confused about is in the syndicate article, the author says all the fruit character is lost if it is left to ferment.
"By this point, I’m pretty sure you can guess what happened: básicamente, the California Ale Yeast devoured all of the fruit sugar, taking the mango fruit character along with it, and left me with a dry, winey wheat beer with a bit too much alcohol. "

Maybe they added the fruit during primary fermentation? In which case, yeah, you would probably lose a lot of the delicate aromatics to fermentation.

Maybe they didn't use enough fruit per gallon? I've only used mango once in a blend with berries and it was pretty subtle, even at about 1.2 lbs per gallon.

Maybe Jeff Crane can chime in on using mango? Paging jeff...

Maybe they added the fruit during primary fermentation? In which case, yeah, you would probably lose a lot of the delicate aromatics to fermentation.

Maybe they didn't use enough fruit per gallon? I've only used mango once in a blend with berries and it was pretty subtle, even at about 1.2 lbs per gallon.

Maybe Jeff Crane can chime in on using mango? Paging jeff...

It says during the secondary is when the fruit was added. hmm. Does Jeff have a username I could PM him at?

cheers

Latest posts

Back