To keg or to Bottle, that is the question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

True_Sycko

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I took a little hiatus from brewing due to busy life and wanting to shed a couple of pounds. Anyways, I brewed a really good American amber/red not to long ago and it's still in the keg. I just brewed a roggenbier (13.5 hour brew day stuck sparge extravaganza!) last week. I am can't decide if I should keg it or bottle it due to the hefe yeast. The other reason I am torn is because I am going to make a dampfbier and pitch onto the yeast cake. One of the articles about dampfbiers said that they should be pulled out of the primary after only 3 days and transferred into a keg, allowing it to finish fermentation under pressure. I am really thinking about trying this out but what concerns me is carbing the roggenbier. I have read that they are so thick that they are sometimes hard to carb up, often raising CO2 pressure quite high. I could just keg the roggen and let the dampf ferment normally, then bottle it. I really can't decided which would be the better course of action here (I wish I had another keg now :D ).

Option A)
Keg roggenbier
Bottle dampfbier (ferment only in primary)

Option B)
Bottle roggenbier
Keg dampfbier (ferment in primary for 3 days then transfer and finish in keg under pressure)

Any insight or opinions would be much appreciated.

~Mike

I wouldn't let the dampfbier finish out in the keg. Unless you know what the gravity difference is going to be ahead of time, you could end up with a severely over or undercarbed beer. I'd just skip that one and carbonate it normally. If you go that way, it doesn't matter which one you bottle and which one you keg. Both will carbonate equally well.

Back