To finish boil or not ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ks_medic

Reaction score
So i brewed up a chocolate stout last night and my propane on my burner ran out with 15 min left in the boil. Boil time was supposed to be 60 min. I still had aroma hops, whirlfloc, and yeast nutrient to add. Granted the hops left were to be added at flame out. So now i had to make a choice cut the boil short and add the remaining ingredients or run to the store and exchange out propane. I decided to run to the store.(thought i could make it quick) It took about 25 min to run there and back and restart boil. Temp upon Return was 180 F. I fired it back up and boiled its final 15 min.

Did i make the right choice :confused: What impact will this have on the beer?

So i brewed up a chocolate stout last night and my propane on my burner ran out with 15 min left in the boil. Boil time was supposed to be 60 min. I still had aroma hops, whirlfloc, and yeast nutrient to add. Granted the hops left were to be added at flame out. So now i had to make a choice cut the boil short and add the remaining ingredients or run to the store and exchange out propane. I decided to run to the store.(thought i could make it quick) It took about 25 min to run there and back and restart boil. Temp upon Return was 180 F. I fired it back up and boiled its final 15 min.

Did i make the right choice :confused: What impact will this have on the beer?

I don't think it'll hurt anything too much. After it's done fermenting, you could always dry hop it in a secondary vessel for a week or two to get some of that hop aroma back but I doubt you'll need to. Also, using something like whirlifloc or Irish moss or whatever is rather pointless on a beer as dark as a stout or porter. They won't benefit from the extra clearing since they're practically opaque anyway.

You'll find out in a five weeks! :)

I bet it will be fine.

Yeah that's kinda what i was thinking. Just RDWHAHB and get ready for the next batch. Needless to say i now have 2 full propane bottles :)

I don't think it'll hurt anything too much. After it's done fermenting, you could always dry hop it in a secondary vessel for a week or two to get some of that hop aroma back but I doubt you'll need to. Also, using something like whirlifloc or Irish moss or whatever is rather pointless on a beer as dark as a stout or porter. They won't benefit from the extra clearing since they're practically opaque anyway.

I used all the hops in the kit so probably wont dry hop. I wonder how 45 min boil with the 30 min break and then a 15 min reboil will effect the bittering hops? I was able to add the aroma hops at flame out so i think i should be good there. I wish i understood how boil time effects hops a little better.

I just add the whirlfloc to pull some of that extra crap out of suspension. I imagine time would cause it all to settle anyways without the whirlfloc. I just get carried away adding things.

Back