To Brew or Not to Brew!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbrout

Reaction score
Well, I'm really wanting to cook up my second batch this weekend. It is going to be an Extract Irish Red Ale. I have ordered grains and all those goodies for my next batch which will be Yooper's Dead Guy Clone--I'm ****ing stoked....But anywho..In that order I have some nottingham coming because I was unsure of the Muton Brewing Yeast that was included in the Extract kit. I actually have 2 x Muton yeast if needed. Anywhooo should I go ahead and brew this weekend and use the Mutons or wait ANOTHER week to brew? Also, I was wondering, since I only have time to brew on the weekends, If i go ahead and brew it can i add the yeast a few days after the wort is made?

Thanks for the input. :mug:

I'm not a huge fan of Muntons yeast. I'm sure there are people out there that swear by it, but the few times I've used it I wasn't really satisfied with the results. Since you have another packet of Muntons on standby, I don't really see any reason why you'd have to wait... I know patience is probably the most important and most difficult part of brewing. :D

As long as the wort is stored properly, it shouldn't really be a problem. Then again, it's just one more thing that could cause oxidization, so personally, I wouldn't risk it.

All things considered, I think you'd probably get better tasting beer with the Notty yeast. I'd wait.

I don't have any experience with Munton's yeast, but I've used Nottingham more times than I can count.

If it were me, and I was just starting out in homebrewing, I'd go ahead and use the Munton's and if I wasn't happy with the results I'd rebrew it later.

Given that I'm not new to homebrewing, +1 on waiting for the Nottingham.

Seriously, that isn't a question. Brew!

If the Munton's really poses you a problem, make a starter. If the starter doesn't work, don't brew. If it does, you have made your yeasties happy and that means better brew.

Perhaps I'm just not experienced enough to know the difference, or perhaps I just love beer enough to not notice the difference, but the two (of 9) batches I've done so far that had Muntons yeast came out just fine.

Prior to using the yeast, I had read on here that many people poo-poo'd it, but decided to learn the hard way and try it myself.

*EDIT* To be clear, I would have no problem using Munton's yeast again. I was happy with the resulting beer.

BREW IT!!

Like the post a few above me said, if you dont like it you have something to tweak later. Im sure it will be just fine.

brewtus.jpg

And that's all I have to say about that.

I just brewed a Red and replaced the munton's yeast with a liquid Irish ale yeast. Not that I'm that seasoned in this art form but I just like liquid yeast better. Just something to think about.

i've never used munton's, but like many many others i have never been disappointed with nottingham.

also i would NOT make wort ahead of time and pitch yeast later. that's just asking for an invasion of non-desirable microbiological houseguests.

this weekend i brewed an apa and left my gravity sample in the vial for a few hours. when i went to clean it there was a marble sized gray lump growing in there.

Back