tips for first time bottling 12 OZ bottles??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishinfur1

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm only on my 3rd batch of beer and I have been putting it in the 22oz bottles that came with my MR. Beer setup. I've desided to try bottling with old Sam Adams bottles I took the labels off. Just wondering if you guys had any tips for sterilizing bottles? amount of priming sugar? do I have to sterilize the caps? any other tips??

This forum has been great for me starting and I love the conversations.

A rinse with sanitizer is a common way although some folks do heated sanitizing cycle on their dishwasher (no soap!). Either way make sure the bottles are clean first - like with a good soak in PBW or oxiclean. How were you sanitizing the bottles before?
Priming sugar is based on volume of beer so that doesn't change. I always sanitize the caps.

sterilize everything, bottles and caps, remember to disassemble your spigot and sanitize that as well before racking, priming sugar is depeding on style but most kits come with either 4 or 5 oz dextrose which is fine. My bottling wand displaces exactly 1.5" when the liquid hits the lip of the bottle I pull back and it leaves the correct head space, just experiment, its not much different from the 22oz

For the Mr Beer kits, the instructions tell you how much priming sugar to use for 12oz bottles (I can't remember, might be 2 tsp). You can also use a single Cooper's carb drop per 12oz bottle, that's what I did on my last Mr Beer batch, and it worked well (but I found it seems to take longer than table sugar, if you're impatient like me)

Putting your bottles through a heated wash in your dishwasher will sanitize them. Don't use detergent, and make sure to soak your caps in sanitizer, as well. I usually put my caps in a bowl full of sanitizer as I'm laying everything out, so that by the time I'm ready to start bottling, they've been in there long enough (10 minutes or so)

Things that helped me the most when bottling.

1. Vinator - Use this with star san to sanitize your bottles.
2. Bench capper - If you use the same size bottles, you'll never have to adjust it and in my opinion so much easier than a wing capper
3. Helper - One person sanitize and cap and the other is the filler.

+1 on the bottling tips, I used that for my assembly line

Back