TIPS and TRICKS for beginning home brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Part of the problem (if you can call it that) with threads like this is that the utility may depend on whether a "new" brewer is truly new, or whether they're a few brews in. Even the language can be daunting to a new brewer. Sparge, pitch, wort, mash, tun, grist, lauter, liquor--I remember trying to acquire the language and it was...interesting.

BRAND NEW BREWERS:

I watched someone brew before I did my first one and it made a huge difference in that what I read online and in books became much clearer.

I taught a buddy to brew; he watched me do a brew day, then I supervised him doing his own, then he did his third one. He was doing all-grain so it was somewhat more involved, and he kept texting me with questions, but he did it.

The advice to join a Homebrew club or find a mentor to help at the outset is perhaps the best advice I can come up with. Try to find people who are better at it than you are, and learn from them. It will greatly accelerate the process.

NEWBIES BUT WITH SOME EXPERIENCE:

Keep trying to do things better than before. Continuous quality improvement. Keep good notes, and every time, make an improvement to your process. I'm a believer that outstanding beer is a consequence of the cumulative effect of best practices. Everything from proper management of yeast prior to pitching (rehydration if dry, starter if liquid), to getting the water chemistry right, to controlling mash temps, to controlling fermentation temperature, to oxygenating wort, to reducing or eliminating oxygen exposure post-fermentation, to....well, everything.

Some of this costs money, I know--but much of it can be done with low outlays of cash, and in other cases there are substitutes. Find a free refrigerator, get an Inkbird controller for $35, a heat mat for about $16, and you have fermentation temperature control! I bought a 4.4 cu ft. dormstyle fridge for $60, and my bigmouth bubblers will fit in there. It's small, so it'll fit in almost any apartment or house.

You can spend a lot, or a little, but whatever your resources and inclination, keep trying to improve. Every time.

I suggest learning to brew one beer style consistently that actually taste good before experimenting with other ingredient like fruit and spices.

usually my first order at any commercial brewery I've never been to before is their pale ale. if they can't get that right, I'm not interested in anything else they're brewing.

will give homebrewers much more slack, mostly because I'm not giving them $7 to drink what they've made.

but also, I think there's a point at the beginning of learning to brew where you want to make an extreme beer and that's OK. usually you go to taste it and you kick yourself for wasting the investment in time and money to realize maybe you should learn to crawl and walk before you try to run.

for me, that was the point when I made the decision between quitting and improving.

plus I think there's a bit of Mad Scientist in all of us, but, for most, the insanity is short-lived

Keep it simple for first few batches and stick with clone kits of beer you can purchase locally to compare

I have a couple that have not been mentioned yet:

1. I mash in a large cooler so I use 2 pots of water to mash and refill them for the sparge, etc. Not the issue here, but when I am done with these pots and the while the wort is boiling I wash my cooler tun. My point is CLEAN AS YOU GO! If you're no longer using something, a pot, tubing, etc. WASH IT, dry it (if necessary) and PUT IT AWAY. At the end of your brew day all you have left to clean is the brew pot, hydrometer & test tube/refractometer, spoon, and any other miscellaneous items.

2. When you set up your Wort Chiller, use your buckets (I use 3) to collect the water. Chilling usually takes me 10-15 minutes. The first bucket will be the hot water and colder for the others. Use some of the hot water to make a new batch of soapy water (if needed). As for the cold water...set a lid on them (don't seal) and save it for the net time you use the washing machine. I use the cold water in the garden during the summer. Speaking of the garden...I set out older buckets in the garden to collect rain water. Every little bit helps.

3. Buckets...Go to the bakery at Walmart and ask for larger buckets. They are the same lids that come with primaries (without the grommet and hole) and only cost $1. They are 3 gallons and food grade, but they smell of frosting. I use about 1 tsp of OxyClean and fill them with hot water for an overnight soak. Sometimes I have to do it twice, but rarely a third time to remove the smell. Also, when I lay them on their side it's like the odors fall out. If you stand them up to dry the odors remain...odd, but it works.

BONUS 1: After all the odors are gone I also use them for grain.

BONUS 2: I have about 6 extras that I use to measure out my grain for the next scheduled brews. I tape a 3x5 (or a piece of paper) on the lid with the recipe name and ingredients. On brew day (or the day prior) I grind it up and use another bucket to collect the ground grain.

BONUS 3: Sometimes (rarely, 3 out of 20 over the last 5 years), the bottom cracks and can no longer hold liquids. When this happens I remove the handle and cut the bottom out so I can use them in the garden. Say WHAT? LOL! After tilling I will put in some plants then push the bucket into the ground (about 3 inches) to keep creatures off. I used to use plastic coffee cans (bottoms removed), but these buckets are larger/better. Watering is easy, just point the hose into the bucket and the rest of the garden stays dry. No wasted water.

I probably have a ton of others, but I'll leave a couple not mentioned for the next person...

99% of the things you do, won’t matter as much as you think. Don’t stress the small stuff until you can truly control the small stuff. I’ve found a ferm chamber made the biggest difference in my beers. Have fun and try to take notes so you can learn/progress on your brews.

Try to find a good local home brew store, they will have dealt with many beginners before and have helped any progress in their brewing career. The place I go to is great because he set me up with my first kit and was great at answering all my questions. I always give him one of my beers to sample after they are ready and ask for any feedback. What they lack in brewing hardware inventory they make up for with all the required ingredients to make pretty much any beer and their advice is fantastic.

Another tip is you can dissessemble a spigot to clean it out thoroughly since wort gets trapped inside of them. Don't let a dirty spigot be the source of your beer infection.

Spigots can also be installed in plastic buckets so that you will not have to deal with the auto-syphon. Using a bucket with a spigot will allow you to rack or to bottle a lot easier. All you need to do is connect your hose to the end of your spigot.

You can install spigots in all your plastic buckets and use them to as fermenters.

Attachments

• spigot_dissessembled.jpg
    spigot_dissessembled.jpg
    764.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back