Beginners Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spotted_dog

Future Professional Brewer
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first post here. I’m a semi-beginner brewer. I’ve brewed around 10-15 batches throughout a couple years. Lately, I’ve been really getting into brewing and the science behind it. I’ve gotten into all-grain brewing relatively quickly after being unsatisfied with extract brewing and have slowly been building up my arsenal of brewing equipment.

As a Homebrew Talk lurker, I have a desire to become a gifted brewer and thought being apart of this forum would help me in my journey. So now comes the objective of my post. I would like insight on any of the following:
  • How do you practice brewing without wasting time, money, and gallons of less than perfect beer?
  • What are some tips that you all have to improve the quality of beer? (besides the common ones like fermentation temperature control and fresh ingredients).
  • What are some vital pieces of equipment to add to my collection that can improve the quality of my beer?
Thank you all for your suggestions and recommendations. I hope to see you all around!

1) Plan ahead, make a cheatsheet, take notes for next time. Also copy existing, known good recipes and branch off from their with tweaks to suit your taste.
2) Just the common ones, they are common for a reason.
3) Refractometer and hydrometer both, also suggest a pH meter if funds allow. Also a pack of S-05 yeast, a pound or three of DME, and maybe an ounce of high AA neutral hops all for those oops moments you want to correct something on the fly.

If you already have temp control ferments the next thing I would look into is closed transfers.. oxygen free cold side practices are a big improvement. As far as wasting time and money, all I can say there is practice makes perfect, take really good detailed notes so you not only learn from your mistakes but also to remember what things work well for you. If you dont already use a program for recipes like beer Smith or something I would look into that. Last is you mentioned science in brewing, so if you're interested in that look into water chemistry. Some people are overwhelmed by it and it doesnt need to be that complicated, having the right water will also improve your beer. Do you need a ph meter? No, does it help? Yes. Just my opinion, especially when you start playing with water adjustments. There's a ton of info here and personally I have learned more here in a couple years then I did in the several years of brewing before joining this forum.

Welcome to HBT
Cheers!

If you've been lurking long enough, you may have figured out by now that there are many very different approaches and techniques that work 'perfectly' for some, while disasterous for others whose 'perfection' is entirely the opposite.
You'll probably get some good responses here to each question, but my own first suggestion is this: Change your attitude or perspective on exactly what constitutes 'Waste'. Everything you try for the first time will carry the risk of the personally unknown. When you embark on putting together a recipe or preparing to brew a kit, for any of those even seemingly 'basic' or simple questions arise for which you'd like more information; first do a search on here and if you can't find an answer, then ask. If you brew a batch and you don't like it, it is still not a waste as long as you've learned something, even what not to do.
The suggestion I will make regarding true waste is this: If you're a meat eater; The samples, bad brews or un-siphon/pumpable bits of wort or finished beer make for excellent marinades or pre-roast soak for grilled pork and chicken.
Welcome to the Fun!
:mug:

How do you practice brewing without wasting time, money, and gallons of less than perfect beer?
Money isn't a issue. This is something we enjoy doing like riding expensive bikes, golf, sailing or flying.

Many of us have probably brewed some of the most expensive beer possible, just because it's for our enjoyment of brewing.

Tasting perfect is something we strive for but likely put up with some less than stellar tasting beers. The awful ones we dump quietly. Sometimes with a tear in our eye!

1) Plan ahead, make a cheatsheet, take notes for next time. Also copy existing, known good recipes and branch off from their with tweaks to suit your taste.
2) Just the common ones, they are common for a reason.
3) Refractometer and hydrometer both, also suggest a pH meter if funds allow. Also a pack of S-05 yeast, a pound or three of DME, and maybe an ounce of high AA neutral hops all for those oops moments you want to correct something on the fly.
First off, thanks for the reply. I greatly appreciate any and all advice! This is all great advice. I've started a brewing journal for the exact reason of taking notes, recording recipes. and planning ahead before brew day. I wish I saw your third point before this previous weekend lol! I just brewed a batch and had a difficult time recording proper gravity during my boil with hot wort and a hydrometer. Just added a refractometer to my shopping cart! Thanks a ton, cheers!

Change your attitude or perspective on exactly what constitutes 'Waste'. Everything you try for the first time will carry the risk of the personally unknown.
This^. See my signature. What my dad used to say about wine is just as true about beer.
If you're a meat eater; The samples, bad brews or un-siphon/pumpable bits of wort or finished beer make for excellent marinades or pre-roast soak for grilled pork and chicken.
And this^.

If you already have temp control ferments the next thing I would look into is closed transfers.. oxygen free cold side practices are a big improvement. As far as wasting time and money, all I can say there is practice makes perfect, take really good detailed notes so you not only learn from your mistakes but also to remember what things work well for you. If you dont already use a program for recipes like beer Smith or something I would look into that. Last is you mentioned science in brewing, so if you're interested in that look into water chemistry. Some people are overwhelmed by it and it doesnt need to be that complicated, having the right water will also improve your beer. Do you need a ph meter? No, does it help? Yes. Just my opinion, especially when you start playing with water adjustments. There's a ton of info here and personally I have learned more here in a couple years then I did in the several years of brewing before joining this forum.

Welcome to HBT
Cheers!
Much appreciated information! This is good stuff. I've read about the dangers of oxygen but have not read much into closed transfers. I will read up and would love to experiment with that and kegging at the same time. This will be my next big step in brewing once I am able to acquire the proper equipment. Also, I have just experimented with my water composition for the first time this past weekend. I still need to practice a bit more and maybe get a more precise scale lol! Again, thanks for all your information and likewise, I have learned more in the past few months of lurking than my entire first few years brewing! Cheers, hope to see you around!

If you've been lurking long enough, you may have figured out by now that there are many very different approaches and techniques that work 'perfectly' for some, while disasterous for others whose 'perfection' is entirely the opposite.
You'll probably get some good responses here to each question, but my own first suggestion is this: Change your attitude or perspective on exactly what constitutes 'Waste'. Everything you try for the first time will carry the risk of the personally unknown. When you embark on putting together a recipe or preparing to brew a kit, for any of those even seemingly 'basic' or simple questions arise for which you'd like more information; first do a search on here and if you can't find an answer, then ask. If you brew a batch and you don't like it, it is still not a waste as long as you've learned something, even what not to do.
The suggestion I will make regarding true waste is this: If you're a meat eater; The samples, bad brews or un-siphon/pumpable bits of wort or finished beer make for excellent marinades or pre-roast soak for grilled pork and chicken.
Welcome to the Fun!
:mug:
Hey Broken Crow, thanks for the reply! I appreciate your feedback, especially the marinade advice lol especially since I love grilling and brewing. Maybe "waste" wasn't the best word. I have drank some of my less than perfect brews lol but I would absolutely like to minimize the number of less than ideal batches due to user error. I was more curious to see if people recommend brewing small batches more often, to practice different techniques and ingredients, instead of brewing a big batch less frequently or if small batches are just aren't worth it. But I appreciate the words of wisdom and intend to keep brew! Thanks, cheers!

Money isn't a issue. This is something we enjoy doing like riding expensive bikes, golf, sailing or flying.

Many of us have probably brewed some of the most expensive beer possible, just because it's for our enjoyment of brewing.

Tasting perfect is something we strive for but likely put up with some less than stellar tasting beers. The awful ones we dump quietly. Sometimes with a tear in our eye!
While I haven't had to dumped any batches yet, I have brewed and drank some less than perfect beers lol. I love the hobby as I have a passion for brewing/cooking, but would love it even more if my beers were the talk of the town. Thanks again for the input, I appreciate everyone's warm welcomes. Cheers!

Thanks. Dad is no longer with us, although he nearly made it to 100. I'm old.
My condolences to you. I'm glad he had a long life, hopefully full of brewing. I have a special appeal to your post, as it was my father who had got me into brewing and I have spent some really great times brewing with my father. As I am still very young, in my 20s, I will remember to not take any time brewing with my father for granted. Thanks again mac

I've spent over $100 in ingredients for a 5 gallon Imperial Stout, and slaved away a long morning and afternoon making it, extra work from so much grain and much longer boil. It ended up going sour several months after it got kegged, and eventually dumped.

I've spent over $100 in ingredients for a 5 gallon Imperial Stout, and slaved away a long morning and afternoon making it, extra work from so much grain and much longer boil. It ended up going sour several months after it got kegged, and eventually dumped.
Wow, crazy! I hope to avoid this kind of issue lol. Did you ever figure out what caused it to sour and/or try brewing it again?

Lots of good advice above! I'll mostly repeat it, maybe with a new detail or two:
  1. Keep records of everything! Currently I record recipe: (grains (including maltster), hops (with AA %), yeast, brewing salts, acid addition), mash (duration, temperature at beginning and end, any steps, pH), gravity (pre-boil, OG, FG), additions (finings, nutrients, oxygen), and fermentation temperature. I wish I'd done more of these earlier, so I could go back and get the information from my records.
  2. Small batches are great. I split evenly between 1.25- and 2.5-gallon batches, with occasional 0.5-gallon batches when I have time on my hands. I end up brewing 3-4x more often than I would if I made five gallons at a time. (I still have too much beer.)
  3. Do split batches. I've split a recipe between two or more fermenters so I could find my favorite dry Belgian yeast (Abbaye), brewed (5) successive batches with the same recipe but using Pilsner malt from different maltsters to see if I could tell the difference (I could not), done a series of IPAs with the same grist and yeast, but different hops, and a series of table beers with the same recipe but different fruit additions. Set things up so you can taste side-by-side if at all possible.
  4. In terms of improvements and investments, once you've got fermentation temperature control down, the next place I'd go to get huge improvements (especially for hop-forward beers) is oxygen-free transfers. You'll want to get kegs to ferment in and transfer to, floating dip tubes (FlotIt 2.0), and spunding valves (SpundIt).

Lots of good advice above! I'll mostly repeat it, maybe with a new detail or two:
  1. Keep records of everything! Currently I record recipe: (grains (including maltster), hops (with AA %), yeast, brewing salts, acid addition), mash (duration, temperature at beginning and end, any steps, pH), gravity (pre-boil, OG, FG), additions (finings, nutrients, oxygen), and fermentation temperature. I wish I'd done more of these earlier, so I could go back and get the information from my records.
  2. Small batches are great. I split evenly between 1.25- and 2.5-gallon batches, with occasional 0.5-gallon batches when I have time on my hands. I end up brewing 3-4x more often than I would if I made five gallons at a time. (I still have too much beer.)
  3. Do split batches. I've split a recipe between two or more fermenters so I could find my favorite dry Belgian yeast (Abbaye), brewed (5) successive batches with the same recipe but using Pilsner malt from different maltsters to see if I could tell the difference (I could not), done a series of IPAs with the same grist and yeast, but different hops, and a series of table beers with the same recipe but different fruit additions. Set things up so you can taste side-by-side if at all possible.
  4. In terms of improvements and investments, once you've got fermentation temperature control down, the next place I'd go to get huge improvements (especially for hop-forward beers) is oxygen-free transfers. You'll want to get kegs to ferment in and transfer to, floating dip tubes (FlotIt 2.0), and spunding valves (SpundIt).
Wow, this is some fine advice! Thanks Alex, this is the kind of stuff I love. I should definitely start keeping more detailed notes. My notes outline ingredients and major processes, but not super fine details like AA% and pH. Will definitely include this in the future. I love the idea of small/split batches, since I'm not sure I could drink enough to brew as often as I'd like to. Ideally I'd like to brew once a week/every other week, but only have so many 5 gallon carboys. But I do have quite a few 1 gallons on hand. I feel like if I can brew more often, I can really hone in on some good techniques and recipes.

Thanks for the gear recommendations. I'll definitely look those up when time comes to purchase a kegging setup! Cheers!

Oh, and (5) find your local homebrew club and go to meetings. One of the best ways to get informed feedback on your beer.
I’d love to join a club but I’m not sure there is a club in my area.. I think the closest LHBS is like an hour away. If I do find one, I’ll definitely join!

Last edited:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-clubs/find-a-homebrew-club/

Since you are chasing the "perfect" beer, you may want to look for clubs with competition winning brewers. Competition results often include club affiliation; and competition sites often list previous years results.
Great suggestion! Thank you for compiling some resources for me to checkout tonight!

big steps for me were
1. all grain brewing
2. water conditioning/adjustment
3. electric brewing (an older grain father g30)
4. controlled fermentation temp
5. brewfather recipe building
6. kegging
7. refine your palate, learn the commercial examples which are a good reflection of style, learn how to taste (you don’t need to be a snob, just informed)

and a lot of independent reading, research and study on technique, science and theory.

Last edited:
What @JaxBrewerSahti said.
The chlorine/chloramine levels vary greatly in the tap water here in STL. I could never get a handle on it, so I switched to distilled water. Biggest single improvement that I've made.
Keep us posted on your progress.
BTW, welcome from Missouri!

Water quality water quality water quality. Get rid of the chloramenes and get your ph right
Hey Jax! Thanks for your reply. This is something I’m beginning to realize. My latest batch last weekend was the first batch I actually started messing with the water quality. We’ll see how it turns out! Cheers!

big steps for me were
1. all grain brewing
2. water conditioning/adjustment
3. electric brewing (an older grain father g30)
4. controlled fermentation temp
5. brewfather recipe building
6. kegging
7. refine your palate, learn the commercial examples which are a good reflection of style, learn how to taste (you don’t need to be a snob, just informed)

and a lot of independent reading, research and study on technique, science and theory.
Thanks for the tips rawlus! Kegging and electric brewing are things I haven’t dipped my toes into yet. My next purchase is definitely going to be a kegging setup. Just haven’t decided between buying a kegerator or building a keezer;)

What @JaxBrewerSahti said.
The chlorine/chloramine levels vary greatly in the tap water here in STL. I could never get a handle on it, so I switched to distilled water. Biggest single improvement that I've made.
Keep us posted on your progress.
BTW, welcome from Missouri!
Hey Wally! Thanks for the warm welcome. I appreciate your feedback. As mentioned above, I just started messing with my water quality. I found a water report for my water company (who knows how accurate it is) and have used that as a baseline. I’ll give it a few batches and see but I might have to just buy water and build the water profile from there! Thanks again, hope to see you around! Cheers!

Keep your recipes simple. Alter found recipes to make them more simple. Reduce the number of grains.

Think about making soup, if you add 15 types of additions or spices you won’t taste them. Do one or two and make them the star. Avoid all the orange chocolate peanut butter porter type recipes (my opinion).

Keep your recipes simple. Alter found recipes to make them more simple. Reduce the number of grains.

Think about making soup, if you add 15 types of additions or spices you won’t taste them. Do one or two and make them the star. Avoid all the orange chocolate peanut butter porter type recipes (my opinion).
Hello Komodo! Love your profile picture! But that makes sense. I really enjoy German beers (probably my favorite) and I’ve always found their purity law, previous and current, very fascinating. Making great beers with few ingredients. I’ll keep that in mind as I continue my brewing journey. Thanks man, I’ll see ya around.

Back