Elderberry Mead question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick Markovics

Reaction score
Here's my recipe, three cups of honey, and six cups of elderberry juice,1/2 teaspoon fermaid o, 1/4 of a mandarin orange peel and a packet of lalvin D47. With an end hydro reading of 1.060. (I did not have a hydro when I started the ferment, so no initial hydro reading.) The initial ferment was extremely energetic. And yes it is wonderfully sweet. Now it has been pointed out to me that it might not be done. Since this is my first time making mead, I have no idea what I'm doing. Any hints tricks and tips would be helpful.

Welcome to our forums!

Did you add any (extra) water, aside from what came with the elderberry juice? If not, it must be very syrupy.

If you did add water, how much, or what's your total volume?

Welcome to our forums!

Did you add any (extra) water, aside from what came with the elderberry juice? If not, it must be very syrupy.

If you did add water, how much, or what's your total volume?

I started it on 7/9/23 and I re-racked it to a different 1/2 gallon carboy yesterday (8/26/23) since I wanted to do a hydro. I did a small taste test at that time and while it is sweet, it's not syrupy at all. Like I said I'm brand new and this is my first try at mead. I attached a picture of the 1/2 gallon carboy/bottle I'm using.

Attachments

• elderberry mead.jpg
    elderberry mead.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 0
I picked it up today to just do a visual inspection and it's still going. There is a good 1/8-1/4 inch of lees on the bottom of the growler carboy. I'll just let it sit for a month or two and check it again.
Welcome to the forum. Remember to check your airlock and add fluid if needed. If it gets dry, the nasties can get in.

Welcome to the forum. Remember to check your airlock and add fluid if needed. If it gets dry, the nasties can get in.
Thanks for the reminder, I just went and checked the three carboys I've got going, just to make sure. Since I'm making a spiced apple wine/mead/cyser (not sure what to call it) today, I'll just clean all the airlocks and replace the star san with fresh.

Latest posts

Back