tincture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbyice1

Reaction score
I need help. I need to add some lemon peel into the fermenter. I don't do secondarys.

what is the procedure? do I soak the lemon peel in vodka for a day or so and then strain the vodka down into the fermenter? im sure I don't want the actual lemon peel in the carboy.

NB grapefruit pulpin recipe calls for 4oz of vodka...

this is for a lemon saison I have finishing up fermentation

recommendations?

my understanding of using peel is you want to buy your self a zester. When you take the peel off you want to stop when you get to white. that portion is bitter its just the very top thin layer you want. Then you can mix it with the vodka to sanatize the lemon. Ive read of people going both ways after that. some just add the vodka some dump it all in. Havent attempted it myself so hopefully someone who has will chime in with more advice. goodluck

If you're just going to zest some lemon peel you don't need 4oz of vodka. 1 or 2 should be fine. Just zest the peel (of how ever many lemons you want to do), dump it in vodka and let it sit for 4 or 5 days to infuse the vodka with flavor. After that dump the whole thing in.

Good job on not using secondary.

Hmmm. I put orange zest in vodka, then put it in the freezer to keep the zest fresh until brew day. Added it all at the end of the boil. Smelled wonderful during fermentation, but the final beer has only a hint. A little disappointing, but may be best, because orange juice beer is not good.

So, hope I've helped here in some way by rambling about things barely related to your question. I suppose I could have just clicked the "subscribed" button.

Even with a zester, getting enough peel is going to take some work. One thing to consider is the variety of lemon you're zesting as some have much more aroma and flavor than others. Meyers or another variety possibly and unwaxed (not shiny) if possible. Also dumping in 4 oz of vodka into a 5 gallon or less batch will give it a harsher flavor.

You may want to look at a lemon extract instead of going with a vodka/lemon tincture. I've made orange beer with natural orange peel extract with great success. A 2 oz bottle was around $4-5 at a spice store.

Hmmm. I put orange zest in vodka, then put it in the freezer to keep the zest fresh until brew day. Added it all at the end of the boil. Smelled wonderful during fermentation, but the final beer has only a hint. A little disappointing, but may be best, because orange juice beer is not good.

So, hope I've helped here in some way by rambling about things barely related to your question. I suppose I could have just clicked the "subscribed" button.

Even with a zester, getting enough peel is going to take some work. One thing to consider is the variety of lemon you're zesting as some have much more aroma and flavor than others. Meyers or another variety possibly and unwaxed (not shiny) if possible. Also dumping in 4 oz of vodka into a 5 gallon or less batch will give it a harsher flavor.

You may want to look at a lemon extract instead of going with a vodka/lemon tincture. I've made orange beer with natural orange peel extract with great success. A 2 oz bottle was around $4-5 at a spice store.

To solve some of these issues, take the amount of zest you want to use, possibly tone it down some, and add it to your priming solution at flameout. The aromas won't be scrubbed off during fermentation, you can skip the vodka, but it's still sanitized. Use a paint strainer bag or something to strain them out. I'd let the solution warm steep while you sanitize bottles or something.

Sounds like you've about got the advice you're looking for, but I'll add that I use a vegetable peeler for zesting and it works way better and quicker than with a microplane (assuming the peeler is sharp).
YMMV

Back