tincture question???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allekornbrauer

Reaction score
Hello I want to make a Coconut tincture to add to a beer. Well I don’t know which proof of vodka to buy for making this coconut tincture?

Hello I want to make a Coconut tincture to add to a beer. Well I don’t know which proof of vodka to buy for making this coconut tincture?
Why a tincture?
I recently did a coconut wheat beer with fresh coconut added after primary fermentation was done. It turned out pretty good.

Why a tincture?
I recently did a coconut wheat beer with fresh coconut added after primary fermentation was done. It turned out pretty good.

Well it would be hard to add Bag coconut into a carboy with it’s small opening...

Well it would be hard to add Bag coconut into a carboy with it’s small opening...

Don’t use a bag. Coconut tends to cap on the top of beer. You can place a bag over the end of you racking hose when you go to package or over your racking cane.

Use unsweetened coconut flakes toast in the oven on a cookie tray till lightly browned and dump them in the carboy. Let them sit 5 days or so

I do tinctures. I don’t think it’s big deal what proof. I’ve hav success using what ever vodka is laying around the house. I usually let stuff soak in the vodka for about two weeks before packaging.

All three vodkas in our cabinet are 80 proof I’d that helps.

I have not used a tincture for coconut at all, so hopeful someone can chime in on that for you.

I usually advocate for tinctures and make them quite often. I wouldn’t advise a coconut tincture. From my experience you would need about 10-16 oz of flaked coconut to get substantial flavor for a 5 gallon batch(if you’re batch is smaller just scale down). Tht would take quite a bit of vodka to completely cover it. Also, coconut very absorbent and you would need to top off again. Due to this You would add quite a bit of vodka to your beer and it would come off booZy and thin.

I’d stick with adding it directly to your carboy or adding a premade extract.

Last edited:
Why a tincture?
In general, tinctures are a good practice because timing is less of an issue (ie. How long to i age the beer on X?), but moreso because you can dose your batch to-taste prior to packaging. However, specifically for coconut, Dgallo nailed it. Only thing I would be concerned with in adding coconut would be the impact to head retention, but i think toasting it would help with that.

I make thc to tinctures regularly and always use the highest proof vodka as possible. I believe the main advantage of the higher proof is it can be boiled off leaving the highest concentration if desired. In the case of beer in not sure that's really needed. I could be totally incorrect however. Cheers

Hello! When making a coconut tincture to add to beer, it is recommended to use a high-proof vodka with a minimum 40% alcohol by volume (ABV) to extract the coconut flavor effectively.

Using a high-proof vodka ensures that the maximum amount of coconut flavor is extracted from the coconut, resulting in a more potent tincture that can be used sparingly to add flavor to your beer.

It is also important to note that the quality of the vodka you use will impact the final taste of your coconut tincture. Choosing a good quality vodka will help ensure that the tincture has a clean and smooth taste without any harsh or unpleasant flavors.

In summary, a high-proof vodka with a minimum 40% ABV is recommended for making a coconut tincture to add to beer, and choosing a good quality vodka will help ensure a clean and smooth taste.

Back