Timing for bottling a saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpd1009

Reaction score
Hi,
I am brewing a Coopers Citrus Sail Saison and have just realised that I am away for 7 days starting day 10 of the fermentation.

There is little information with the recipe on fermentation time other than checking OG, i.e. between 1008-1013 and stable for 2 days.

I am trying to do a little forward planning and understand when the stabilisation may occur based on others experience.

Do I simply test at day 8 9 and 10? and if so if there is still movement on the OG what to do?
Thanks in advance.
James

I am brewing a Coopers Citrus Sail Saison and have just realised that I am away for 7 days starting day 10 of the fermentation.

What yeast strain are you using? Some Saison strains are reliable and fast fermenters, some have a tendency to stall and take a month to finish up, and some take an extra week or two to knock off that last few gravity points. Most of the dry Saison strains are very reliable. Generally, warm (70F or warmer) and consistent temps will keep the yeast happy and working. 3-4 or more weeks in the fermenter is fine

I've left Saisons in fermenters on the yeast for 6+ weeks with no ill effects. Even longer if I co-pitch Brett. Depending on your strain, you may even drop a few more points.

I've left Saisons in fermenters on the yeast for 6+ weeks with no ill effects. Even longer if I co-pitch Brett. Depending on your strain, you may even drop a few more points.
How fast is rustic in your experience in a 1.041 highly fermentable pilsner/spelt flour based wort? First three days were open fermented but since air locking, literally zero activity in the air lock. Is this one that quick? I only have experience with belle and that one really takes its time for the last few points at the end.

How fast is rustic in your experience in a 1.041 highly fermentable pilsner/spelt flour based wort? First three days were open fermented but since air locking, literally zero activity in the air lock. Is this one that quick? I only have experience with belle and that one really takes its time for the last few points at the end.

Most of the time mine are done very quickly with that strain. Especially open fermenting. I usually still give it a week or so then check gravity. With that one if you are below say 1.008 it's probably done unless you put some heat to it and it will go even dryer. 1.006 or so is my happy point with that yeast as when I bottle it if it creeps any more it will be fine since I shoot for higher carb around 3+ vol. If you are bottling and want to be on the safe side (and have thick bottles) you could go for like 2.8 Vol and then if it goes any more it will creep up to 3ish.

Most of the time mine are done very quickly with that strain. Especially open fermenting. I usually still give it a week or so then check gravity. With that one if you are below say 1.008 it's probably done unless you put some heat to it and it will go even dryer. 1.006 or so is my happy point with that yeast as when I bottle it if it creeps any more it will be fine since I shoot for higher carb around 3+ vol. If you are bottling and want to be on the safe side (and have thick bottles) you could go for like 2.8 Vol and then if it goes any more it will creep up to 3ish.
Ok, I will check it next friday, then it is 7 days in the fermenter. I will check again on sunday, 9 days in, if it is the same number, I'll bottle.

I have not bottles left.......... omg.

I leave my Saisons in the primary for no less than 21 days. Sometimes, 28.
Diastaticus Yeasts love some time to drop out. And if not given the time they love, they love to make Bottle Grenades.
Been there, tried that :(

I would like to try it but I don't dare to. My house environment has high bacterial/fungal infestation level, so I have to keep extreme sanitation regimen, and an open fermentation would be a guaranteed disaster.

I would like to try it but I don't dare to. My house environment has high bacterial/fungal infestation level, so I have to keep extreme sanitation regimen, and an open fermentation would be a guaranteed disaster.
Oh, that is not good.

The reason I was asking is that I think that the enzyme production of the diastatic yeasts is related to oxygen availability. Meaning, the more oxygen, the more enzymes that chop bigger carbonhydrates into smaller metabolisable (does this word exist?) ones. This seems to be backed up by the fact that many people seemed to have found the solution for the dreaded "saison stall" by using open fermentation.

Back