Time to build up 2 step lager starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
I need to plan but I don't know what timeframe I'm looking at. I will be doing a 2 step - 2 liter starter and decanting each time. Is a week long enough? It's a lager.

I need to plan but I don't know what timeframe I'm looking at. I will be doing a 2 step - 2 liter starter and decanting each time. Is a week long enough? It's a lager.

I have not done a lager starter but a week should be fine. 3days first round 3 days next. Good luck

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm planning 3 days for step one, three for step two, and then 48 hours or so to cold crash the starter to decant. A week or so should do it.

I like to leave my starters on the stirplate for 48 hours or so and cold crash 48-72 hours in the fridge between steps

Lager yeasts do not floculate out as quickly as ales yeast. Make sure you leave enough the in between the steps and at the end to let the feast settle out.

As previously mentioned, 48-72 hours should be plenty.

48 hours is the most I'd go, and really I think 24 is probably plenty. Also, your original post, says 2 step 2 liter... Are you plan on doing both at 2 liters? If so, I don't think you'll get much growth out of the second step.

I'm basing what I said on info from Greg Doss of Wyeast, Chris White from White Labs, and the Yeast Book.

I used the brewers friend calculator and if I do a two liter starter and then do another 2 liter step I reach about 900 billion cells I am guessing that means do a two liter starter, decant add 2 more liters. It looks like the growth is still substantial.

48 hours is the most I'd go, and really I think 24 is probably plenty. Also, your original post, says 2 step 2 liter... Are you plan on doing both at 2 liters? If so, I don't think you'll get much growth out of the second step.

I'm basing what I said on info from Greg Doss of Wyeast, Chris White from White Labs, and the Yeast Book.

I'm using brewers friend stepped starter calculator with chris whites stir plate method chosen. See my above post. Thanks.

Back