Time Saving IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meangreen83

Reaction score
I started off doing all grain so this is my first attempt at an extract recipe. I wanted to ask a few questions regarding the procedure and get some feedback to see if I have everything correct. I won't get into the specific recipe since I want to focus on the technique mostly.

extra light liquid extract
munich liquid extract
simpsons caramalt
hops: 90 (replacing with hop extract), 30, and 0 minute additions and lots of dry hopping

I have an enormous kettle so the boil volume is not an issue. Is 30 minutes at 140-160 long enough to steep the simpsons caramalt, or should I aim for a specific temperature? Since I am replacing the 90 minute hop addition with fully isomerized hop extract, isn't the 90 minute boil unneeded? Since all I need to do is dissolve the hop extract, could I just add it with 5 minutes left in the boil alongside addition of the liquid malt extracts?

If these assumptions are correct, then all I need is a 30 minute mash and a 30 minute boil. Damn, this is going to save so much time and hassle.:rockin:

You won't get the same amount of bitterness adding it late in the boil as you would at the 90 minute. Hop bursting with hop extract is possible, but you need significantly more. And it also depends on the gravity of the wort when you add it. Hops do more in a boil then just provide bitterness and flavor/aroma like help with form of a hotbreak. And although you won't get a lot of sugars from the caramalt, it still follows the rules of normal grains in that 145 or so will bare the maximum amount of fermentable sugars, and higher will be adding more sweetness and body (and obviously color with that malt) because of the unfermentable sugars. Even higher will risk tannin extraction in nearing 170. But I assume you know that all from all grain brewing. Extract poses its own problems too, so don't try to rush through it.

You are probably right, theheadonthedoor. That amount of oil does not dissolve into water in 30 minutes. If extract brewing combined with hop extract let you avoid long boil times then everyone would do it.

Caramalt is a steeping grain- so you can steep it for 15 minutes or so, or simply steep it cold while bringing up the temperature to a boil, and remove the grains when you get to 170. That will save you 15 minutes or more right there.

I do this technique called "hopbursting", where I add the first hops at 15 minutes and then more at 10 minutes, 5 minutes, flameout and dryhopping. I've never done it with an extract batch, but it should be exactly the same technique with a full boil whether extract or AG.

In other words, I think you can easily do a 15 minute boil, after a 15 minute steep, and have a great beer.

Yooper is right. I haven't tried a cold steep, but bringing it up to 160-170 will take care of the steep,

Back