Time Before Pitching Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liebz15

Reaction score
I live in an apartment that won't allow me to cook anything on the patio so I plan to brew at my brother's house (5 minute car ride). When done brewing, I will cool the wort. After that, which of the following is the best stradigy:

• Syphon wort into fermentor, pitch yeast into fermentor then transport home?
  • Keep wort in kettle and transport home, then transfer into fermentor and pitch yeast?
  • Transfer wort to fermentor, apply air lock, transport home, then pitch yeast?

This is my second go at this brewing thing and I'm addicted. The first round I fermented at my brother's house too but unfortunately he will no longer allow me to do this. Any tid bits would be most appreciated. Thanks!

CHEERS!

Rack the beer to fermentor. Doesn't matter (since it's a 5 minute ride) weather you pitch the yeast before or after you get home. Shoot, sometimes between cleaning up and moving my carboy to the fermentation fridge, it can take an hour or so before I pitch the yeast. No biggie.....

Rack the beer to fermentor. Doesn't matter (since it's a 5 minute ride) weather you pitch the yeast before or after you get home. Shoot, sometimes between cleaning up and moving my carboy to the fermentation fridge, it can take an hour or so before I pitch the yeast. No biggie.....

Excellent. Thanks for the info!

I know I'm chiming in a few months down the line, but another alternative may be just doing it in your apartment on the stove (with the window open and a fan - those pungent hops might upset an adjacent neighbor or two). I don't even have gas, I run an electric stove and am able to monitor the temp and get a rolling boil just fine when I need to. I also don't rack to my fermenter, I just dump it(carefully). Helps aerate it, and saves you some time.

I'm still learning myself, but per microbiology and food safety 101, you probably want a rapid cooldown to avoid growing contaminants, and the fewer times you have to crack the lid on the primary fermenting bucket, the better. I'd get my wort down in the target temp range for your yeast rapidly, pitch my yeast, pop on the lid and airlock, and be done with it before transporting, but it looks like your trip isn't a long one.

I'm still learning myself, but per microbiology and food safety 101, you probably want a rapid cooldown to avoid growing contaminants, and the fewer times you have to crack the lid on the primary fermenting bucket, the better. I'd get my wort down in the target temp range for your yeast rapidly, pitch my yeast, pop on the lid and airlock, and be done with it before transporting, but it looks like your trip isn't a long one.

:off: Food Safety is absolutely not an issue here. Your directions are correct to prevent an infection, but in beer the infections only taste bad. They don't hurt you. (except for your pride):(

Latest posts

Back