Three-Nipple Tripel advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaredkent

Reaction score
I picked up Radical Brewing about a month ago and I'm planning on brewing my first recipe from this book this weekend. Now if you have the book you are familiar with the fact that Mosher doesn't include step-by-step directions for any of the recipes, he gives you the basic information and that is all. I'm fine with that, just one small question.

He mentions that the Maturation period is 3 to 4 months. Since this is my first tripel, and still in my first year of homebrewing, I'm a little confused. Does this mean 3 to 4 months in a carboy, 3 to 4 in bottles before it's drinkable, what?

I guess my question is how long should I be keeping it in primary and more importantly secondary and bottles? For those of you who have brewed this before how long did you keep it in each stage?

I have not brewed this recipe before, but with a typical tripple, I would bottle after 3 weeks or longer if fermentation isn't complete, and the bottle condition until the 3 to 4 month mark. Secondary is not nessesary, better to use that time to make sure the tripple carbs up while it conditions as it could take a month or two.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G using Home Brew Talk

I would ferment it out completely in primary, and then let it rest an additional two weeks after that so the yeast can clean things up. Then, I would transfer to a secondary and bulk age it for like 2 months. Bottle, and wait 2 more months before sampling the first one.

You'll thank me.

I would transfer to a secondary and bulk age it for like 2 months. Bottle, and wait 2 more months before sampling the first one.

+1. I aged my 10% ABV tripel in secondary for a couple of months (luckily, I was in India which made resisting tinkering with it easier). Glad I did. After 3 months it's just now aging well.

Latest posts

Back