Thread adapter for knockout - 5/8-18 to GHT = holy grail?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnageasada

Reaction score
Hi all,
Drawing on the wealth of expertise on here in brewing and all else perhaps to adapt as the title suggests, more specifically I need:

5/8" x 18 (fine) male thread going to GHT (garden hose) female to drive a plate chiller for knockout.

Definitely would consider going straight from the 5/8" to a 1/2" barb or similar and just cut some tubing, can be brass or stainless, and QD would be wicked, but not expecting miracles...

Closest I've seen so far is stuff for fuel lines in cars, but then they have flares that would make the threading not as deep and gaskets wouldn't be feasible, which really won't fly. BTW, limiting factor is my damn faucet head, no simple adapter kit has what's needed either that I have seen, thanks Kohler! I know the GHT side's easier if I cut my own tubing especially.

Well, thanks in advance, I really know something's gotta be out there!

If you don't know of McMaster-carr, check them out. Amazon often has oddball fittings too. Maybe you know this.

At a glance I'd probably use NPT in between. the 5/8-18 going to NPT male or female, and then the opposite NPT to your GHT. Just because it seems like everything has an adapter in existence for NPT,

Hi all,
Drawing on the wealth of expertise on here in brewing and all else perhaps to adapt as the title suggests, more specifically I need:

5/8" x 18 (fine) male thread going to GHT (garden hose) female to drive a plate chiller for knockout.

Definitely would consider going straight from the 5/8" to a 1/2" barb or similar and just cut some tubing, can be brass or stainless, and QD would be wicked, but not expecting miracles...

Closest I've seen so far is stuff for fuel lines in cars, but then they have flares that would make the threading not as deep and gaskets wouldn't be feasible, which really won't fly. BTW, limiting factor is my damn faucet head, no simple adapter kit has what's needed either that I have seen, thanks Kohler! I know the GHT side's easier if I cut my own tubing especially.

Well, thanks in advance, I really know something's gotta be out there!"
what exactly is the 5/8 thread fitting you are trying to mate? quite often knowing what it is can help folks tell you what's possible alot better than just quoting "5/8/-18" by itself.

thats a pretty unusual thread so its a help-me-help-you situation, any extra info could be big help.

Thanks tracer bullet, I've actually checked McMaster, Grainger, and even Swagelok, which is what pointed me to high pressure gas/fuel fittings, should've mentioned that above... I agree I'm likely to get pushed to an NPT fitting one way or another.

SanPancho - 5/8" x 18 is designating a 5/8" diameter threading with a pitch of 18 threads per inch along the shaft. A more common pitch at that diameter is 11/inch, aka course (vs fine). It's an objective standard that I didn't make up and this specific combination is regularly available as simple nuts and bolts for other applications other than brewing. Unfortunately, my sink manufacturer uses it and it's adding an interesting variable to connect my faucet to my chiller, so I'm just seeing if someone may have had a similar problem to solve with these specs.

I'll keep hunting though!

Thanks tracer bullet, I've actually checked McMaster, Grainger, and even Swagelok, which is what pointed me to high pressure gas/fuel fittings, should've mentioned that above... I agree I'm likely to get pushed to an NPT fitting one way or another.

SanPancho - 5/8" x 18 is designating a 5/8" diameter threading with a pitch of 18 threads per inch along the shaft. A more common pitch at that diameter is 11/inch, aka course (vs fine). It's an objective standard that I didn't make up and this specific combination is regularly available as simple nuts and bolts for other applications other than brewing. Unfortunately, my sink manufacturer uses it and it's adding an interesting variable to connect my faucet to my chiller, so I'm just seeing if someone may have had a similar problem to solve with these specs.

I'll keep hunting though!
I can assure you i know very well what 5/8-18 means. My point is that if you would have said "5/8-18 threads on my sink faucet" you would have gotten this answer much more quickly. As is i had to go back and re-read your post to find down further where you mention sink faucet.

see post #27 for an alternative way to get cooling water. buy one of those. some 3/8od tubing, and a barb to GHT fitting. much easier than messing with annoying faucet threads.

Cooling in Apartment Homebrewing

"5/8-18 threads on my sink faucet"
Indeed. I was thinking it must be an A/N flare fitting perhaps.

Our local Home Depot has a small board up with a lot of faucet threading examples zip tied to it, to help people match up parts.

I feed my immersion chiller with a sink adapter with a little lever that can reroute water off to the side. That sink is in the basement and doesn't see a ton of use, I'm not sure I'd put up with it in the kitchen. But it might be an idea. I also tend to agree about getting water from the valve under the sink however.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L1WN3V8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Nice, SanPancho, no doubt you understand what I was saying, just a tad of a verbose posting for sure! I was thinking about attacking this "under the sink", but I guess that may have been too easy? Those are far more standard too, going back that route and thanks for the kick in the a**.

Kitchen faucet threads to 3/4" hose threads (garden hose) adapters are pretty common, but they all have male hose threads. I'm not sure about the 5/8" part, I thought most aerators were 15/16 or 55/64. Then you'll need an adapter with female hose threads on both ends; that's pretty common.

Hi all,

Screenshot_20221204-151000_Drive.jpg

Looking at the chart above, it looks like whatever you're adapting the hose to may be a 3/8" pipe thread size. Therefore, I'm thinking you need a 3/4 GHT x 3/8 MIP adapter. This might or might not be something available locally to you. If you have a local plumbing supply house nearby, I'd go into the counter mid-day after the early morning rush and chat with the counter man about what fittings they have.

3/4" MHT x 3/8" MIP Brass Hose Adapter, Brass Garden Hose Fitting

Otherwise, you can add a tee between your cold-water valve under the sink and it's hose, then put a supply stop and garden hose thread connector onto the tee. You would be bypassing the sink faucet all together. The guys at Clawhammer Supply had a similar set up until they remodeled their studio and added a specific chiller output. I'd be willing to bet that all the fittings you'd need to accomplish this could be found locally at any hardware/DIY/plumbing supply house. (And if you got real carried away, you could put QD fittings on all this so you weren't fighting threaded stuff each time you wanted to brew...)

Nice, SanPancho, no doubt you understand what I was saying, just a tad of a verbose posting for sure! I was thinking about attacking this "under the sink", but I guess that may have been too easy? Those are far more standard too, going back that route and thanks for the kick in the a**.
haha, my pleasure.

while i mentioned in that post, there is the standard kind of valve adapter that has a side outlet with "standard" sink supply hose connection, which is 3/8 compression male. a 3/8 npt female end will mate with the 3/8 compression male, so you could use a female to barb fitting also. i like the push fitting because when i'm done i pull the whole thing out and put it away and the wife wouldnt complain about leaving my stuff under the sink.

just a thought.

Hi all,

Sometime you just have to get creative. Here is 5/8”-18 male to female garden hose. JB Weld is used. You could also silver solder I suppose.
27F0949B-571A-44FD-822D-C0DDABE01A25.jpeg

Back