Thoughts on next brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnoob1

Reaction score
So, I'm losing ideas on what to brew next. I currently have an IPA and wheat on tap with a Nut Brown in the fermenter. I'm not sure what to brew next. I like everything from blondes to porters. I wanted to do a basic porter and then add coconut as more of a tropical spring/summer drink. However, I know porters take a while to mature and become nice to drink. So, thoughts on next brew? What is a solid brew that you've done that you'd highly recommend or constantly keep in your rotation as a session brew that most people would love?

PS: When I say session, it doesn't have a be a lower ABV brew, just something that tastes really good that you could have a few and not grow tired of.

Do you like any Belgian styles? I know you already have an American wheat, but maybe a nice belgian white or saison? That's the kind of stuff I get in the mood for once the warmer months hit. Good luck finding your inspiration! Cheers.

If you're thinking a tripel, just make sure you're fermenting with a good belgian yeast like WLP530, and boil about 80% pilsener extract, 20% table sugar and some sort of noble hops. The sugar will help get the FG dry enough to make it drinkable.

Blue Moon Clone:

50% extra light DME
50% light Wheat DME
Clean american ale yeast OR Belgian Wit yeast
1 oz. Saaz or EKG hops
.75 oz orange peel (or to taste)
.75 oz crushed coriander seeds (or to taste)

I usually prefer the American yeast in this personally, but either way makes a nice beer. And you can add a bit of chamomile if you want a more authentic Hoegaarden flavor.

I recommend trying the Graff recipe by Brandon O in the cider section. It's essentially 4 gallons of apple juice and a gallon of wort in the fermenter. Mine went from grain to glass in only 3 weeks with bottle conditioning. It tastes like a tart, dry apple beer--almost champagne like. Everyone that has tried mine has really liked it and it was about the easiest brew day you could have.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Homer, what american ale yeast are you thinking? Safale 05 or something? My wife loves blue moon and I told her I'd brew one if I could find a good recipe. What's the OG and FG on that recipe? Just 1 oz of Saaz for full boil?

US05 or whatever.

For kicks, why not hit the various yeast websites and read the descriptions of their yeast? I find that to be a nice way to pass a few minutes of time.

The real recipe can be found at Blue Ball Belgian Wit

It's a pretty basic recipe that most all of the wit recipes follow. Some add oats for a bit of mouthfeel.

1 ounce is fine I've found. You get some balance from the orange peel. I'm thinking it's about a 1.040 OG beer, but you can play with it and make it what you like.

I always brew a Amber ale or English bitter this time of year, thier usually ready pretty quick and always a crowd pleaser!!

I'm with Stalewater.

I have two English Bitters in the cellar that have been impressing me these days.

This one was an attempt a a Wells Bombardier. I don't know how close I got to matching but its good non the less.

Converted from metric:

Well Landing English Ale

3.3lbs Cooper's E. Bitter
1.1lbs DME (light)
.6 lbs Crystal 40L
.33lbs Carapils
.37lbs Dextrose
.5 oz Challager (20mins)
.4 oz Challanger (15mins)
.3 oz EKG (F-out)
.5oz EKG (Dryhop)
11.5g S-04
5.5 gallons Water

This one has gone through many changes over the last few batchs. I think I like this one.
B.S.A Bitter

3.3lbs Coop's E. Bitter
1.2lbs LME Amber
.4lbs Molasses
.33lbs Carapils
.33lbs Pale Chocolate Malt
.1lbs Poasted Barley
.4oz Northernbrewer's (15mins)
.3oz EKg (10mins)
.15oz N. Brewer's (5mins, F-out)
.15oz EKG (5mins, F-out)
11g Notto
5 Gallons

Give either or both a go. You won't be disappointed.;)

You guys are awesome as always. Thank you for the input and the sites with recipes. I'll be looking over all of these and going from there.

Cheers!

Back