Thoughts on my well water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrellQ

Reaction score
I have brewed two recipe kits so far, using LME for an Amber Ale and an IPA. Both turned-out surprisingly good using my well water. I'm getting ready to try a Kolsch and I've read that they tend to be more sensitive to water quality. What are your thoughts regarding me using this water for the Kolsch (or brewing any other beer for that matter)? This is from my most recent water analysis:

(all in MG/L)

Calcium: 55
Magnesium: 17
Potassium: 1.1
Silica: 18
Sodium: 5
Alkalinity: 170
Hardness: 210
PH: 6.9
Total Dissolved solids: 230
Chloride:12
Nitrate as N: 2.5
Sulfate:14

Thank you for your comments!

Your well water is not terrible, but I wouldn't sweat the water chemistry much with extract. The extract contains unknown quantities of salts, so there is no way to know what your final mineral profile will be. The best way to find out is to brew it and taste it, making adjustments based on results.

I have brewed two recipe kits so far, using LME for an Amber Ale and an IPA. Both turned-out surprisingly good using my well water. I'm getting ready to try a Kolsch and I've read that they tend to be more sensitive to water quality. What are your thoughts regarding me using this water for the Kolsch (or brewing any other beer for that matter)? This is from my most recent water analysis:

(all in MG/L)

Calcium: 55
Magnesium: 17
Potassium: 1.1
Silica: 18
Sodium: 5
Alkalinity: 170
Hardness: 210
PH: 6.9
Total Dissolved solids: 230
Chloride:12
Nitrate as N: 2.5
Sulfate:14

Thank you for your comments!

Your water report is eerily similar to mine here in CT...you got some hard water there which is usually good for the hoppier darker beer. As said above i wouldn't worry too much with extract.

If you move to all grain eventually then i would start making some adjustments. Just for your reference i did an American wheat beer with the similar profile and it came out as expected.

I did however just get a water softener and RO system put in so i will be doing some water adjustments moving forward.

I'm getting ready to try a Kolsch and I've read that they tend to be more sensitive to water quality. What are your thoughts regarding me using this water for the Kolsch (or brewing any other beer for that matter)?

IMO, the best Kolsch's tend to have soft-ish water profiles. Since you are brewing extract (which already contains minerals from the manufacturer's mash), you might consider using distilled or RO water.

Back