Thoughts on my second recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dward85

Reaction score
Brewfather recipe summary attached - what does everyone think? The final gravity falls outside of the recommended level according to brewfather - they say max should be 1.015 and this is coming in at 1.022.

Attachments

• Brewfather_CitraMosaic_20200823.pdf
    66.1 KB · Views: 15
Brewfather recipe summary attached - what does everyone think? The final gravity falls outside of the recommended level according to brewfather - they say max should be 1.015 and this is coming in at 1.022.

Are you going for a NEIPA or a Milkshake? Lactose belongs in the latter, not usually the former, and being an unfermentable sugar is what's keeping your FG so high.

i have been getting a lot of milkshake NEIPA's from a local spot so that is what i am trying to emulate (Peaches & Cream Milkshake | Source Brewing)
Sure, that's definitely a thing, which is why I said usually. But BF doesn't have a Milkshake NEIPA style option, which is why you're falling outside of their suggested boundaries. Looking back I see the vanilla now, so I should have realized you were going for the hybrid style. Personally, I'd try to thin it out just a little bit by dropping the base malt and replacing with a bit of sugar to get the FG in the mid to high teens, but it should work as is.

Beyond that, it mostly looks good to me. The mash pH does seem a little high at 5.6. I'd suggest an acid addition to bring that to around 5.2-5.4. I'm curious how you plan to add the vanilla as well, your recipe says at bottling, but it also says beans. Usually you'd either "dry spice" with beans post fermentation, or possibly add an extract/tincture at bottling.

Sure, that's definitely a thing, which is why I said usually. But BF doesn't have a Milkshake NEIPA style option, which is why you're falling outside of their suggested boundaries. Looking back I see the vanilla now, so I should have realized you were going for the hybrid style. Personally, I'd try to thin it out just a little bit by dropping the base malt and replacing with a bit of sugar to get the FG in the mid to high teens, but it should work as is.

Beyond that, it mostly looks good to me. The mash pH does seem a little high at 5.6. I'd suggest an acid addition to bring that to around 5.2-5.4. I'm curious how you plan to add the vanilla as well, your recipe says at bottling, but it also says beans. Usually you'd either "dry spice" with beans post fermentation, or possibly add an extract/tincture at bottling.
at your recommendation i dropped the base malt to 10 lb 8 oz. when you say sugar - do you mean just regular old sugar that i'd throw in my coffee? doing this brought my FG down to 1.019

for the PH i have a bottle of LD Carlson Lactic Acid (88%) - how much would you recommend i put in? I did not see anywhere on brewfather to add this as a water adjustment. For the vanilla i was planning to keg (BF doesnt have a keg option) and toss a split bean into the bottom of the purged keg and rack on top of that and hope for the best.

at your recommendation i dropped the base malt to 10 lb 8 oz. when you say sugar - do you mean just regular old sugar that i'd throw in my coffee? doing this brought my FG down to 1.019

for the PH i have a bottle of LD Carlson Lactic Acid (88%) - how much would you recommend i put in? I did not see anywhere on brewfather to add this as a water adjustment. For the vanilla i was planning to keg (BF doesnt have a keg option) and toss a split bean into the bottom of the purged keg and rack on top of that and hope for the best.

Yes, table sugar. It thins out the beer because it's 100% fermentable. Not really required unless you want to keep the ABV up where it was before you reduced the base malt.

Did you use the water calc screen for your brewing salts? There's an Acid section at the very bottom of that.

Yes, table sugar. It thins out the beer because it's 100% fermentable. Not really required unless you want to keep the ABV up where it was before you reduced the base malt.

Did you use the water calc screen for your brewing salts? There's an Acid section at the very bottom of that.
makes sense on the sugar - when would you recommend adding that? I'd like to keep it between 6.5% - 7% so thats a great tip i appreciate it.

water calc - i dont know how i missed the acid additions at the bottom - thank you! i added 5ml to bring the PH down to 5.32

do you think there is too much going on in this recipe and maybe i should simplify a bit more or is does it have decent structure?

I do sugar additions like this at the end of the boil. In BF, change the use to Flameout so it'll calculate it correctly for hop utilization purposes.

In my opinion the recipe looks pretty good as is. My NEIPA experience is relatively limited though, so hopefully others will chime in.

anyone else able to offer some opinions before i order my ingredients?

Here is what my NEIPA grain bill is .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200824-065130_Grainfather.jpg
    Screenshot_20200824-065130_Grainfather.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 13
Back