My next brew day recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
OK, so I pilfered a recipe from here for a Russian River Pale Ale. I plugged the numbers into Brewfather and this is what I came up with.

https://share.brewfather.app/jHxNkV5ZdB78z6
As is, it hits the mark, but I am thinking of rounding up on the grains so I don't have as much leftover as I might if I don't. I am working on trying to expand my horizons so to speak and move from IPA to different recipes.

Thoughts on this? It is my first 90 min boil, so I am guessing I will need to have more liquid to start and I think Brewfather has adjusted for that. I might have to add more to the Mash and adjust down for the sparge as I do a dunk sparge and my 5 gallon kettle will overflow if I do 3 plus gallons of sparge. Or I can do two dunks as about 2 gallons each. Either way, this will be my first try at a 90 min boil.

Also, the original recipe called for White Labs WLP001, but I have Bry97 on hand so I was going to sub that out. I only have one packet, but I think that should be enough. If not, I can always hustle to my LHB shop and grab another packet.

As usual, comments and input are always welcomed.
Rock On!!!!!!!!!

That's going to be a pretty hop-forward beer. So much so, that it's probably not going to matter a heck of a lot which strain of mostly-neutral yeast you use, or whether you've got the right amount of yeast versus a slight underpitch. All of which is to say that I think you'll get a good beer with your one pack of BRY-97.

I don't understand what you're hoping to gain from a 90-minute boil. Generally I'd suggest -- to beginners and no-longer-beginners -- to use the same boil length every time so that you figure out exactly how your process works. Deviate from that only when you have a specific goal in mind: like a three-hour boil to develop color and flavor in a barleywine, or a 15-minute boil for the lightest possible wheat ale.

The hop schedule will probably give you good results, though if it were me I'd probably go with 60/20/5/hopstand or something. File the thought away as something to experiment with. In any case, I'm 100% on board with making this a single-hop beer: it will taste great, and you'll learn much more than if you just threw the kitchen sink at it.

That's going to be a pretty hop-forward beer. So much so, that it's probably not going to matter a heck of a lot which strain of mostly-neutral yeast you use, or whether you've got the right amount of yeast versus a slight underpitch. All of which is to say that I think you'll get a good beer with your one pack of BRY-97.

I don't understand what you're hoping to gain from a 90-minute boil. Generally I'd suggest -- to beginners and no-longer-beginners -- to use the same boil length every time so that you figure out exactly how your process works. Deviate from that only when you have a specific goal in mind: like a three-hour boil to develop color and flavor in a barleywine, or a 15-minute boil for the lightest possible wheat ale.

The hop schedule will probably give you good results, though if it were me I'd probably go with 60/20/5/hopstand or something. File the thought away as something to experiment with. In any case, I'm 100% on board with making this a single-hop beer: it will taste great, and you'll learn much more than if you just threw the kitchen sink at it.
First off, thank you for your reply. I appreciate and will take in what you said. My reason for a 90 minute boil is simply because that is what the recipe had. Can I switch it to a 60 min boil? Sure, I don't mind that as every other beer I have made has been 60 minutes. I will play with that in Brewfather.

You mention it being a very hop forward beer. Would it be better to cut down some of the hop additions along the way to maybe mellow it out? The IBU number is pretty close to many of the other beers I have made, but if you think a bit less is better, I am ok with trying that. I saw it, asked the recipe builder some questions and this is what I came up with. I have never used Pilsner malt, that I remember, so this is kinda a new ingredient for me. So, with all that said, the 90 minute boil certainly is not set in stone. It was just the boil time the OP of the recipe had and I went with it.

Once again, thank you very much for your input. I appreciate it and will take from it.

Rock On!!!!!!!!!

The 90m boil probably has to do with the pilsner malt and preventing DMS. From what I gather, it might be nearly as necessary as homebrewers once thought secondaries were. Martin Brungard has some writeups on DMS and its precursors which I stumbled upon when I was researching boil intensity.

IIRC, the boil doesn't need to be rip-roaring, just enough to be sure each wort molecule is getting its chance to see the surface, you can simmer covered for most of the boil and open the lid for the last 20-30m, chill quickly with the lid open. Mainly, modern pils is less DMS prone than older, less modified malt.

I could definitely be wrong in part or whole, but DMS is most definitely what you want to look into.

Thoughts on this?
Brew the recipe "as is" (boil times, hop addition times, ...), adjusting for water volumes. Recipe software is good at adjusting estimates for values that can be measured with tools. OTOH, boiling will add things that are not software estimated (or easy to measure).

A interesting example of a longer boil (90 min boil, 1st hop addition at 20 min) is Jamil Zainasheff's "Evil Twin" recipe (link). I've brewed it as is and as a 20 min boil. Two different beers.

The 90m boil probably has to do with the pilsner malt and preventing DMS. From what I gather, it might be nearly as necessary as homebrewers once thought secondaries were. Martin Brungard has some writeups on DMS and its precursors which I stumbled upon when I was researching boil intensity.

IIRC, the boil doesn't need to be rip-roaring, just enough to be sure each wort molecule is getting its chance to see the surface, you can simmer covered for most of the boil and open the lid for the last 20-30m, chill quickly with the lid open. Mainly, modern pils is less DMS prone than older, less modified malt.

I could definitely be wrong in part or whole, but DMS is most definitely what you want to look into.
Thank you for your reply. I used to boil like it was lava, but have tried to calm it down a bit as I was losing a lot of volume to the boil. So now, my aim is a nice simmer to rolling boil. I also cover to keep the condensation in too. I am going to try a fan pointed at the top of the kettle to see if I can cool some of the steam and have it go back into the kettle as a user I met said he used to do quite often. I don't know much about Pilsner malts as I have never used them, so this will be a first.
Once again, thank you for the info and taking the time to post. I appreciate it.

Brew the recipe "as is" (boil times, hop addition times, ...), adjusting for water volumes. Recipe software is good at adjusting estimates for values that can be measured with tools. OTOH, boiling will add things that are not software estimated (or easy to measure).

A interesting example of a longer boil (90 min boil, 1st hop addition at 20 min) is Jamil Zainasheff's "Evil Twin" recipe (link). I've brewed it as is and as a 20 min boil. Two different beers.
I am thinking of doing it as is just because the OP was very positive on the results. The IBU on it isn't much more than what I drink now, so I am not as concerned about the possibility of it being too hoppy, if that makes sense. It is a longer boil than I am used to, but that isn't a big deal. New methods and trying new stuff is what this is all about, right? LOL
Thank you for taking the time to post, I appreciate that.

Back