Thoughts on grain bill for stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Reaction score
Alright guys, just looking for some thoughts on the grain bill for an upcoming stout. It's a fundamental stout recipe from 'Radical Brewing' by Randy Mosher.

84% Mild Ale Malt
8% Black Patent
8% Dark Crystal.

As some of you may know allot of recipes in that book have a traditional focus hence the lack of roasted barley in there. That's more so what I'm concerned about. I've always used roasted barley in my stouts combined with chocolate, black patent or both. Do you think that % of black patent will be a bit too sharp? Perhaps the crystal will balance that out, either way, thoughts welcome!

Cheers,

Graeme

Idk, I think id cut the black malt in half and replace it with chocolate malt. Then again I'm not a fan of black malt.

That much Black Patent may very well lead to problems. As an interesting historical experiment, I'd say go for it. If you want something you'll recognize as a stout, replace with Roasted Barley, or split it half and half with Chocolate (at that point I'd call it Porter ;) ).

Bob

Perhaps you are right, splitting it to black/chocolate might be a safer bet! It would be an interesting historical experiment as you say but because I can't brew too often I think I'll play this one safe, thanks guys

Back