Thoughts on adding cucumber.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyhamer

Reaction score
I am doing a 2.5g batch with
2# maris otter
2# pale 2 row
4oz honey malt
.30 oz centennial @60
.10 oZ cascade @20 and @5

Thinking of throwing some sliced cucumber in after a week or so. Has anyone used cucumbers before?

So, I put 1 and a half skinned and sliced cucumbers in an hour ago and just tasted it. The cucumber taste is already VERY present. Instead of trying to scoop cucumbers out and risk aerating it I may go ahead and bottle it after 5 days fermenting. I HATE to bottle so early but don't want to risk over cucumbering the beer.

I'm interested to see how it turns out, I imagine it will have that nice cucumber freshness

It's probably one of the best beers I have brewed. Just be prepared to bottle a few hours after adding cucumber. The beer really absorbs the cucumber flavor quickly. I had to bottle a few days early because of how fast the beer absorbed the cucumber flavor. It almost adds a melon like sweetness to the beer. I used 3 peeled and sliced cucumbers.

Here's the 5 gallon conversion if anyone wants to give it a go and share your thoughts.

4# 2row
4# Maris Otter
8oz Honey Malt
Mash at 152 for 60 minutes.

.5 oz Centennial @60
.2 oz cascade @20 and @5

Ferment 7-10 days with S-05 then add 3 sanitized, skinned and sliced cucumbers the morning you want to bottle/keg. Taste through the day until you reach the desired cucumber flavor. "Brewcumber"

Cheers for that.
I cannot get my hands on honey malt,so that would have to go.
Also,I have some Belle Saison that would work great in this

Cheers for that.
I cannot get my hands on honey malt,so that would have to go.
Also,I have some Belle Saison that would work great in this

Probably not necessary or search the threads and you can probably find a similar replacement. I was just experimenting with new grains I haven't brewed with.

Thought the same thing. The cucumber addition would be great in an american wheat.

I've got it on tap now... I made a simple American Wheat and added 3.5lbs of skinned/de-seeded cucumbers for 2 days to the secondary. It is my wife's (and many others) favorite Summer beer.
:mug:

I've got it on tap now... I made a simple American Wheat and added 3.5lbs of skinned/de-seeded cucumbers for 2 days to the secondary. It is my wife's (and many others) favorite Summer beer.
:mug:

Started an american wheat last night. Bittered with Saaz and used S-05 slurry. I already have strawberries cut and frozen for it along with cacao nibs but I'm considering using cucumber in it.

Looks like you are going to have to go with cucumber and let the berries and nibs wait,right?

Hey guys, would'nt it be much easier to infuse the cucumber in the preboil water? It's just a thought but it could actually work... thoughts?

Couldn't you also just purée some cucumber up and strain just the juice to add during bottling?

Couldn't you also just purée some cucumber up and strain just the juice to add during bottling?

I supppse you could but the beer really takes on the cucumber super fast so that might be unneccesary and increasing the risk of contamination. Also, puréeing the cucumber might make the flavor way too intense.

You do NOT want to boil the cucumber. South east Asians are big on cooking it and the flavour changes big time. Nasty.

Back