This yeast pack still viable for my next brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
06107B51-A9FD-4205-88F7-AFADF1DDF47D.jpeg
A3C0D1DB-8EE5-4B82-88B1-3C8DD314185F.jpeg
A3C0D1DB-8EE5-4B82-88B1-3C8DD314185F.jpeg
It should be good for several days, if not more. Make sure you keep the mouth of the flask covered with sanitized foil. No need to go with a bigger starter at this point. I think it will be just fine. Don’t worry if it doesn’t kick of off in the first 12-18 hours, it might just have a little longer lag time. RDWHAHB! Ed

I pitched it yesterday around 5pm and overnight it got to work. Pictures are from this morning less than 12 hours later.

Bad news there was an error when putting together my brew sheet on Beersmith. The water volume never updated for some reason and I’m about 3/4 of a gallon below my batch size. Acting like a baby, I didn’t really try very hard after I noticed what was happening. For example, I oxygenated the wort by swirling the carboy instead of my normal o2 can and I could have been more careful with the sanitation. Figures I had to wake up to a strong krausen. Lol

I have a two piece air lock that I slide a tube over and terminate in a bucket of starsan. Certainly the input portion of the airlock was to small. Not sure how else to do it on a carboy.

1" ID/1-14" OD vinyl jammed into the neck works great, especially on chunky fermentations ;)

NEIPA_03.jpg

Cheers!

I recently had a package of yeast with similar viability without realizing it. I made a starter using a stir plate and it wasn't taking off in time for brew day so I used something else. It eventually took off and I cold crashed it. My plan is to step it up before using it for another beer.

Back