This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to be that old man...."Get off my grass you damn kids!" As I shake my mash paddle at them.

I'm starting to think that way more and more as I age.

I went to dinner last night at a charity spaghetti dinner. The table next to us was filled with women and children. The women piled up their purses and diaper bags on our table. They did this before we got there. As we sat down they had no compunction to move their crap. I had my son sit right next to it so he could flip and slop spaghetti sauce all over their bags.

So if you knew if the items belonged to them how hard would it have been to say "are these you're items on our table?" And asked them to remove them? If they gave you the "oh yes but we don't have room" excuse you could have replied with "oh I'm sorry that is unfortunate however we don't have room for your things at our table either so if you would like I can remove them for you or you can find room for them" instead of passive aggressively having your kid fling food at them and eat like white trash in a trailer park on a drunkfriday night instead of eating like a kid who goes out in public often.

I am cooking burgers and hot dogs for a large gathering (60+ people) today at my in laws. My ******* mother in law decided, in an effort to save $0.50/lb, that she would buy the bulk family packs of meet weeks in advance, and freeze patties in individual sandwich bags. If you don't know how to grill for a crowd, please for the love of God don't do the shopping & prep without consulting the person doing the work. We could have collectively saved hours of our life for about $10.00.

View attachment 356289

Buy this woman a food saver. Obviously buys bulk on sale. Teach her to freeze 1 lb at a time and show her the zip lock bags they make. Heck buy her the 6 pack of rolls when Foodsaver has a two for one sale. She can shop cheap, partition out cheap and save the headache when she has 10 1lb packs of meat into sandwich bags.

When I arrived back at the house last night, we had had a major change in plans. Originally, 1 family was going to spend the night. It turned into 3 additional families of 4-5 people, plus a set of grandparents.

Net result, my wife and I were somehow displaced from our bedroom, which is basically a second master upstairs with a king bed, and into a tiny bedroom down stairs with a double bed (did I mention my wife is 37 weeks pregnant). The idea behind this was originally good, all of the kids would spend the night in the room with their parents. What ended up happening was all the kids decided they would stay up late as hell watching Disney movies, their parents went upstairs to a quiet bed, and I got stuck downstairs listening to a dozen screaming kids until about 3 am, and then again at 7:30 this morning. Their 3 sets of parents eased downstairs at about 9:30, and promptly inquired about breakfast.

Oh, and somebody last night while I was gone managed to find my bottle of knob creek which I had hidden in my closet upstairs (in the room I was displaced from, during my absence) behind some towels, and had a "group share." They of course are idiots who don't drink anything better than Jim beam and were mixing it with sodas, including Mountain Dew. They jointly polished it off just prior to abandoning their kids and retreating upstairs for a restful night.

View attachment 356437

"Your kids had the same question at 7:30. I told them you had the answer so we are waiting." While they stumble around and you find the Knob Cfeek "hey what happened to that bottle of booze I had hidden behind a bunch of **** in the back of my closet? It is empty and it wasn't before last night. Who is refilling it before they leave?"

When I was single a couple came to see my roommate, and the guy asks if he could have a beer. I had about 8 in the refrigerator. When I went to get one (much later), there was no beer in the fridge. I saw him in the hallway with one in his hand and a full one in his back pocket.

Did you call him out or did you let him drink all your beer and not pay for it? I'm assuming the later and you were upset for years and never let it go.

A new one...

While I was writing the previous post... with drunk girl passed out with skirt up.

A couple walks into the brewpub, I frequent, with two kids. One autistic child maybe about 7 and another child about 3.

The place is pretty friendly, but its a bar. People talk different in a bar right? F-bombing in casual conversation is generally excepted when you're belly up to the bar right? The girl four seats down from me is talking, little buzzed but explaining a camping trip (In Africa I think) talking about the baboons and the gorilla zoo incident. Not pissed not outraged. She's doing the f-this f-that thing.

The issue I have is not minding your kids.

The 3 year old has climbed into a bar stool , to the left of me, at the bar and is now scribbling on the beer menu with black ballpoint pen. His parents order two beer flights and sit down at a table behind me, with autistic child playing on a tablet. Meanwhile, the kid is left next to me scribbling on the beer menu. WTF. His mother comes by and says of you made an "F" that's good and sits back down to do her flights. The 3 year hops down from the bar stool and gets on the other side of me. Stands up on the bar stool and commences walking from bar stool to bar stool. Nobody is watching. I get up off my stool to tell him to sit down on the tool. He tells me his name is monkey-boy. I'm like ok. I sit back down. His parents are oblivious as he starts talking to the F-bomb girl... Telling her his name is monkey-boy. She's like huh?

Seriously, you bring your kids into a brewpub and you don't mind them. WTF? GTFO. They only stayed for the two flights and left. Thank god.

I just saw the irony of this situation and the zoo situation. :ban: MYFK

Pet peeves...people who aren't parents of kids telling parents how to parent. They aren't your kids and you don't know what types of life lessons they're learning. I bring kids to the bar to act out in front of drunks so they learn what drunks look like, sound like and smell like so they know early on who is a drunk *******.

Also, not knowing the difference between excepted and accepted.

Pet peeves...people who aren't parents of kids telling parents how to parent.

Yeah! And men have no business being gynecologists. What could they possibly know about vaginas, anyway?

Sorry Durty, but I've got to disagree with you here. You don't have to be a parent to recognize delinquent behaviour. If I see a parent smoking inside a car with their toddler in a carseat in the back, what am I supposed to do? Shrug, and say, "Well, I'm not a parent, so what do I know? Maybe that's how they do it these days." Come on.

They aren't your kids and you don't know what types of life lessons they're learning.

Parents don't have the right to impose their kids' behaviour on strangers, no matter what "life lesson" they're trying to teach them. People have a right not to be disturbed by your little hellions, especially inside a bar.

"Parents don't have the right to impose their kids' behaviour on strangers, no matter what "life lesson" they're trying to teach them. People have a right not to be disturbed by your little hellions, especially inside a bar."

Absolutely. Also, parents who encourage their kids to grow up into entitled pieces of s*** are one of my pet peeves

Did you call him out or did you let him drink all your beer and not pay for it? I'm assuming the later and you were upset for years and never let it go.

I grabbed the beer from his hip pocket and let him know it was time for him to leave. (I never saw him again).

It wasn't so much a matter of feeling personally wronged as much as just being absolutely shocked that someone was such an idiot.

Oh, and why would you assume the later? Why assume anything?

Last edited:
Yeah! And men have no business being gynecologists. What could they possibly know about vaginas, anyway?

Sorry Durty, but I've got to disagree with you here. You don't have to be a parent to recognize delinquent behaviour. If I see a parent smoking inside a car with their toddler in a carseat in the back, what am I supposed to do? Shrug, and say, "Well, I'm not a parent, so what do I know? Maybe that's how they do it these days." Come on.

Parents don't have the right to impose their kids' behaviour on strangers, no matter what "life lesson" they're trying to teach them. People have a right not to be disturbed by your little hellions, especially inside a bar.

So I guessed you not have the right to impose your behavior on me either because it's the same thing. Learn to deal with other people especially in public. I have the right not to be disturbed by you but that doesn't mean I can tell you to STFU in a bar when I think you're being loud or annoying.

Edit: and YES you don't need to tell someone they shouldn't smoke in a car. It's like me telling you not to drink beer because it's bad for your lover, eat fast food because of cholesterol, drive over the speed limit be causes it increases your chances of death very fast for every 5 mph. It isn't your kid, it isn't my health so STFU and mind your own business. Stop telling other people how to live and go live your own life.

"You're right - I'm not a parent. I'm also not a pilot. But if I see a helicopter in a tree, even I can tell someone f***ed up."

-- Steve Hoffstetter (paraphrased)

ETA: And if that kid had taken a header off the barstools, what are the odds of the parents saying "Oh, how delightful, little Keegan-Aydynn learned a life lesson about gravity and depressed skull fractures." No, they'd sue the bar.

That whole clip is great. "Having kids isn't hard. It's easier than ordering a pizza." (Heckler in audience: "No it's not!") "Oh really? Well let me ask you this: Have you ever accidentally ordered a pizza?"

"Raising a good kid - now that makes you special."

*applause*

"Statistically, too many of you are clapping."

So I guessed [sic] you not have [sic] the right to impose your behavior on me either because it's the same thing.

Asking you to keep your kid from bothering people is "imposing my behaviour" on you?

I have the right not to be disturbed by you but that doesn't mean I can tell you to STFU in a bar when I think you're being loud or annoying.

Uhm.. that's EXACTLY what it means. Re-read what you just wrote. You said I have the right not to be disturbed by you, but I don't have the right to ask you to stop when you're violating that right. Which is it?

and YES you don't need to tell someone they shouldn't smoke in a car.

With a child in it. A child too young to speak up for itself. Just to be clear: on the issue of smoking in the presence of a child in a confined space, you're coming down on the side of the smoker?

It's like me telling you not to drink beer because it's bad for your lover

In my experience, a little bit of a buzz has actually been a good thing for my lover. Heightens my mood, increases my stamina, etc.

eat fast food because of cholesterol, drive over the speed limit be causes it increases your chances of death very fast for every 5 mph. It isn't your kid, it isn't my health so STFU and mind your own business. Stop telling other people how to live and go live your own life.

In principle, I agree with you. I don't care how you live your life, as long as you're not negatively affecting mine. But the topic here is a kid who IS negatively affecting mine.

Also, in a society that socializes health care (as we do in Canada, and the US is moving slowly in that direction), yes, society as a whole does have an interest in discouraging harmful/risky habits and behaviours. Feel free to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, but when you suffer brain damage and are confined to a bed with a feeding tube for the rest of your life, you'd better have a way to pay for it yourself, or "society" might just decide to pull the plug.

Asking you to keep your kid from bothering people is "imposing my behaviour" on you?

Uhm.. that's EXACTLY what it means. Re-read what you just wrote. You said I have the right not to be disturbed by you, but I don't have the right to ask you to stop when you're violating that right. Which is it?

With a child in it. A child too young to speak up for itself. Just to be clear: on the issue of smoking in the presence of a child in a confined space, you're coming down on the side of the smoker?

In my experience, a little bit of a buzz has actually been a good thing for my lover. Heightens my mood, increases my stamina, etc.

In principle, I agree with you. I don't care how you live your life, as long as you're not negatively affecting mine. But the topic here is a kid who IS negatively affecting mine.

Also, in a society that socializes health care (as we do in Canada, and the US is moving slowly in that direction), yes, society as a whole does have an interest in discouraging harmful/risky habits and behaviours. Feel free to ride a motorcycle without a helmet, but when you suffer brain damage and are confined to a bed with a feeding tube for the rest of your life, you'd better have a way to pay for it yourself, or "society" might just decide to pull the plug.

1. No I'm saying you making noise and bothering me in a bar is the same as kids. Me asking you to shut up is the same as you being annoyed at kids. Re read the post.
2. A child is anyone under the age of 18. It isn't your kid. Mind your own business. It's not illegal. I'm not siding with the smoker I'm siding with a parent making parenting decisions regardless of smoking in a car, wearing a helmet, dressing their kids in something you don't approve of or shaving their head. It is not your child. I don't tell you how to care for your pets. Don't tell me how to care for my kids. How the hell is someone else's parenting affecting your life? The two minutes you see some parenting you don't agree with you're impacted? Wow let me change my way of doing things so you can feel better. Let me appease your hurt feelings and put my own aside.
3. Maybe you're discussing abortion, war, or dirty jokes in a bar and that negatively impacts my life because my mother had an abortion as a teenage, my father died in war and my sister was used as a prostitute as a child when she was into drugs. Either way a kid bothers you, you bother me and you disagree that you should mind your own business because of the age of someone. Maybe I agree you should tell the kid to knock it the **** off or tell the parents to put their kid in check but I DON'T agree you have some publicly established right to not be bothered in an establishment that allows children because you feel it is personally inappropriate.

I'm reminded of the time I was sitting in a park with my mother, who was an elementary school teacher and who comes from a family of master foragers. she saw an unattended toddler about to eat poisonous berries. She jumped up, grabbed the kid, removed the berries from its hand saying "no, no, honey, that's ocky! Ocky!" The kid cried, of course.

So ... Don't do that?

So someone tried to setup a birthday celebration and people didn't show up that possibly RSVP'd and you didn't give a **** that you walked right through the area where they were trying to celebrate a birthday? Was a single table not available for you to have your meal at that you couldn't have disturbed their party? Obviously it wasn't a big deal either way but next time you want to throw a party for grandma and someone takes you're table just remember the rules don't apply. Your paper reservation doesn't mean anything and we can toss that aside while we have lunch at the table you wanted to save when the one "over there" is open.

First off you need to re-read my post.

1) The "Miller's" didn't have the cafe reserved. I specifically said the casher said THEY DID NOT HAVE THE CAFE RESERVED. They just posted signs saying its reserved, on the door and one on a pillar in the center of the cafe. Doing so does not make it reserved.

2) This Cafe is a cash business within the nursing home. They sell drinks and food. They have no right to shut down their business by just posting signs implying you have the space taken. They brought in catered food too. Try squatting like that at McDonalds. They need to rent out a place and take the resident there.

3) Yes I am going to walk right through their Fvcking Party because my mothers lunch tray is on a cart inside the cafe. I am paying $8k a month to for her room and board. She's going to get a lunch. I also drove 3.5 hours to see her. I do that every week and have been doing it for 3 years. The people know me there. I have never seen the "Miller's" there before, so they seem to be once a year group of visitors. Real nice.

4) This is the only public meeting/dining area. Like any business its first come, first serve. If they had all of the tables taken I would understand, but did not. They can't and should not assume they can deny others that space because they want an "exclusive" family get together. There is at least 300 people at this facility. At any time there might be 10-15 residents with visitors. They have every right to be in that space with a resident.

5) The cafe is also where the employees buy their lunch and dinners.

Yeah my attitude was rightly so, they can go bless themselves. Mind you this is a pet peeve, so bitching about jerks is to be expected.

[Re: Smoking in a car with a kid] A child is anyone under the age of 18. It isn't your kid. Mind your own business. It's not illegal.

Are you sure about that? It most definitely is illegal where I am, in Ontario, Canada. Many (most?) jurisdictions have similar laws, I would imagine. You might want to double-check the law where you are before you go off half-cocked.

I don't tell you how to care for your pets.

Of course you do. "You," in this case, meaning "society." As a whole, we have laws governing how you are allowed to treat your pets. Do they not have animal cruelty laws where you are, either? Sounds like some sort of lawless free-for-all!

Don't tell me how to care for my kids.

Again, I (read: "society") already do, in many ways. Again, I can only speak for Ontario, but bicycle helmets are mandatory for kids under 18. We have child endangerment laws. Neglect, failure to provide necessities of life, and so on and so on.

How the hell is someone else's parenting affecting your life?

Why don't you ask Harambe?

Oh wait, that's right, you can't, because a negligent parent let her kid get into his enclosure, and they had to kill him (Harambe, not the kid).

Maybe you're discussing abortion, war, or dirty jokes in a bar and that negatively impacts my life

I could spend some time explaining the difference between "Freedom of speech" and "disturbing the peace" to you, but something tells me it wouldn't sink in anyway. A quiet, private conversation about controversial topics is not the same as a kid running around screaming and knocking things over.

So if you knew if the items belonged to them how hard would it have been to say "are these you're items on our table?" And asked them to remove them? If they gave you the "oh yes but we don't have room" excuse you could have replied with "oh I'm sorry that is unfortunate however we don't have room for your things at our table either so if you would like I can remove them for you or you can find room for them" instead of passive aggressively having your kid fling food at them and eat like white trash in a trailer park on a drunkfriday night instead of eating like a kid who goes out in public often.

I would say its a two way street. I could have said something and they could have removed them when they glanced over at their bags. I implied that my boy flung food on them, not intentionally, but their crap is at risk of it getting dirty if they wouldn't put them on their own fvcking table. Eating spaghetti is not always a clean activity. If they don't want pasta and marinara sauce on their Gucci and Coach bags they probably should move them.

I think they should have consideration to move their stuff. I could have said something I am sure they would have thought it was a snide remark, since they had no compunction to move it for three hours. My son was off playing after 45 minutes. Pretty much after that it wasn't an issue.

(BTW - This was kid friendly environment. 30 or more kids running around with balloons made into animals, swords and chainsaws. They also had designated play areas for kids.)

Mind you recall, this is bitchy pet peeve thread.

Pet peeves...people who aren't parents of kids telling parents how to parent. They aren't your kids and you don't know what types of life lessons they're learning. I bring kids to the bar to act out in front of drunks so they learn what drunks look like, sound like and smell like so they know early on who is a drunk *******.

Also, not knowing the difference between excepted and accepted.

Bringing them to bar that doesn't serve food is ridiculous. They just need to mind their kids. The little guy was happy go lucky. He should not be scribbling on a menu and walking on top of the bar stools.

"You're right - I'm not a parent. I'm also not a pilot. But if I see a helicopter in a tree, even I can tell someone f***ed up."

-- Steve Hoffstetter (paraphrased)

ETA: And if that kid had taken a header off the barstools, what are the odds of the parents saying "Oh, how delightful, little Keegan-Aydynn learned a life lesson about gravity and depressed skull fractures." No, they'd sue the bar.

This is what I was thinking. They don't want to be taking a kid to the hospital over a possible concussion.

Watch your own kids, its not like all the bar patrons are your relatives and want to visit with your kid.

DirtChemist - Mind you this is a pet peeve thread, so bitching about jerks is to be expected.

Telemarketers that call businesses trying to peddle printer supplies and credit card processing.

the printer folks are relentless. at least 2 - 3 per day. I just want to know who the people are that actually buy from or take the time to talk to them.

Telemarketers that call businesses trying to peddle printer supplies and credit card processing.

the printer folks are relentless. at least 2 - 3 per day. I just want to know who the people are that actually buy from or take the time to talk to them.
Allow me to introduce our secretary. She's gotten burned by them 2-3 times now

Most welding supply shops will either fill your bottle or exchange it with a full one.

Another option is a place that fills fire extinguishers.

If you are considering setting up a kegging system go with the bigger bottle you won't regret it.

Allow me to introduce our secretary. She's gotten burned by them 2-3 times now

I actually wonder how the government do not call list would work on them.

I used to get a bunch from telemarketers. I don't know if our IT group put a call blocker on numbers calling with a blocked caller ID.

We have Cisco IP Phones.

On my cell, I let it ring. bless-em.

I actually wonder how the government do not call list would work on them.

what this does is PROVIDE numbers for them to call.

Sounds wrong, but that's what it is.

You come up with a name, register as a business of some sort, and they will GIVE you the list of names and numbers you can't call.

Send that list to your overseas company, which isn't bound by your laws, and then they call you.

what this does is PROVIDE numbers for them to call.

Sounds wrong, but that's what it is.

You come up with a name, register as a business of some sort, and they will GIVE you the list of names and numbers you can't call.

Send that list to your overseas company, which isn't bound by your laws, and then they call you.

Good to know.

As of today I'm on Android 6.0 marshmallow. I set my phone to auto reject unknown numbers.

Well isn't it just an extension of the Atlantic Ocean? It isn't as if there is a land separation between the Atlantic Ocean and the gulf like any ocean/bay in America. It seems like the annoying thing would be people trying to explain how the Gulf isn't part of the Atlantic Ocean that is just a few miles south with no defined border showing where the gulf ends and the ocean begins.

No.

What is the difference between an ocean, a sea, a gulf, and a bay?

All four bodies of water are different in size and location. Oceans, rich in seawater, are the largest bodies of water. There are four oceans: the Pacific, the Atlantic, the Indian, and the Arctic. At the edges of the oceans are seas, a part of the ocean that is partially enclosed by land. For example, the North Sea borders the Atlantic Ocean. (Not every body of water with the word “sea” in it is a sea: the Caspian Sea, Dead Sea, and Aral Sea are actually saltwater lakes because they lack an outlet to the ocean.) Gulfs and bays are bodies of water that jut into the land; a gulf is larger, sometimes has a narrow mouth, and is almost completely surrounded by land. The world’s largest gulf is the Gulf of Mexico, with a total surface area of about 600,000 square miles (1.5 million square kilometers). It is surrounded by Mexico, the southern coast of the United States, and Cuba, and contains many bays, such as Matagorda Bay in Texas and Mobile Bay in Alabama. The San Francisco Bay, off the coast of northern California, is a well-known bay in the United States.

People that stand 1 inch from you in line at the store. Like they are afraid somebody will cut in front of them. I call them butt huggers. There is this thing called personal space. I like to fart on them. Thought about getting "BACK OFF F@#$ER" tattooed to the back of my neck.

You can make calls on a marshmallow?

We don't get many business telemarketing calls to our dept. While we can receive direct calls from outside, our dept. numbers aren't published to the public. We do get some fishers now and then, though. They try to be slick. Try to pump for info like they're a boss. I got one a few days ago.

"What's our dose rate today?", he sternly demanded to know.
Excuse me?
How much are you feeding RIGHT NOW?
Over 9,000.
Pounds?
Tons.
Who is this?
My name is Inigo Montoya.
/click

You can make calls on a marshmallow?

Yeah, it's a burner phone. The buttons on it don't work very well. They are kind of squishy.

The last time I lost my phone, was camping at the time, I forgot that I ate it while drunk. It wasn't until I tried calling myself on my other phone to find it, that I remembered what I did with the thing. It only took me a few s'more times to realize that I shouldn't be eating my phone.

:D

http://www.howtogeek.com/171012/how-to-block-a-phone-number-from-calling-your-android-phone/

I hate it when people leave a voicemail and rattle off their phone number far faster than any human can write it down. "...so please give me a call back as soon as you can, I'm at eightsixsevenfivethreeohnine. Kbye." I always make it a point to slow waaaaay down when I leave my no. on a VMM.

I hate it when people leave a voicemail and rattle off their phone number far faster than any human can write it down. "...so please give me a call back as soon as you can, I'm at eightsixsevenfivethreeohnine. Kbye." I always make it a point to slow waaaaay down when I leave my no. on a VMM.

Me too. I hate listening to it seven times to get the number. Sometimes I just delete the vm and say bless it altogether.

Another annoyance - I get meeting invites at work where people give you the number and passcode to dial for a conference call. Like this.

18885663737 8775621

Seriously, you can't use a "-" or a "." How lazy are you?

Then people get it wrong like five times due to dyslexic nature of the numbers running together and having to look away to dial on the phone.

They leave off the * and the # too.

It's especially bad when they leave a long rambling message with the phone number at the end. That means you have to listen to the WHOOOOOLE message again before taking another shot at writing down the number. (Unless you have one of those newfangled VMM systems that lets you rewind a little bit.)

When in a store I think people should pretend they are driving. STAY TO THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE AISLE. When turning left into a side aisle TURN WIDE. I am constantly having to stop in my tracks when someone comes around the corner and suddenly I am face to face. If I didn't stop - head on collision!!!

Exactly!

What I hate is when people get all pissy because you're avoiding them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back