This old Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mysteryberto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recently my dad found a killer deal on a Beverage-air kegerator for only $80 on Craigslist including a regulator and sanke coupler. Only problem was the seller said it needed a recharge as it wasn't staying cool.
0115100104010116102008060126ac2b38d0330d7bcc002c49.jpg

Took it home and found that while the fins inside became cool the evaporator fan did not run. Removing the drip pan revealed the problem. The fan motor had been soaking in water and was ruined.
deadguy_001.JPG

Replaced the fan motor with a new one although a new hole had to be drilled in the mounting bracket since they changed mounting location.

Most of the interior is made of stainless steel. However the drip tray was made of plain steel and rusted beyond repair. Cut down a piece of stainless and bent and cut a hole in for the drip hose.

deadguy_005.JPG

The door gasket was very stiff and had been painted and as a result wasn't keeping a great seal. Picked up a replacement for it.
deadguy_003.JPG

So far we have a new drip tray, new evaporator fan motor and new door seal. Everything should be good to go right? Well the compressor sounds like it's starting really hard with arcing noises. Took the back off and the starter relay is just toasted. Went to the appliance store and picked up a new starter with a starting capacitor to replace it. Then it started perfectly every time.

Start to put things back together and fired it up. Except the compressor wasn't turning on. Turns out the thermostat switch wasn't clicking on. Popped upon the thermostat control and there were two screws totally loose. Screwed them in and it worked perfectly.

After all that work and repair the kegerator works great. Currently pouring a Dead Guy ale clone kit with a Perlick forward sealing faucet.

Next order of business is replacing the tower with a four tap tower and adding a manifold to handle this.

So how much did all this set you back? It's a good thing you are handy:D. I would have had to take it in somewhere:D

Dan

Good to see it worked out for you. Refrigerator trouble shooting can be like that- fix one thing and there is another problem, but it should work great now.

Sounds like fixing the cooling system on my vette.

I'm glad it worked for you, and the kegerator is beautiful.

Progress has been made on the kegerator. It is now has five cornie gas quick disconnects all hooked up to their own regulators. Four quick disconnects are inside the kegerator and one is outside for easy bottle filling or to provide CO2 to jumper kegs together. Also in line is a filter to filter the incoming CO2.

Now all that remains is to build a 4 tap tower and figure out how I want to paint the kegerator.

7960d1222800909-old-kegerator-img_1796.jpg

7961d1222801046-old-kegerator-img_1799s.jpg

7962d1222801066-old-kegerator-img_1798.jpg

IMG_1796.jpg

IMG_1799s.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

I had read your original post before, but I must say (even with the repairs), that you definitely got more bang for the buck! Looks good!

Now just don't mistake it for a fire hydrant and take a drunken p*ss on it some night...

Back