this old keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chia

Reaction score
so i found this old keg at a friends house. pics are on the phone so i will upload later. it is one with a bung hole in the middle, and a bottom bung and a top tap. the center bung is missing, but i have a friend that can weld a stainless sheet over it. should he weld a sheet over the bottom? or can i put some kind of connector in there and then cut the top and use as a HLT? let me know what my options are. Thanks!!!:tank:

Its a hoff-stevens keg, and they have pretty limited use because of the bung hole in the side of it. I guess you can weld the hole shut, but what would be the point of welding the sheet on the bottom?

The other limiting factor is that it doesn't have handles like Sanke's do. You could weld/bolt handles, but between that and welding over the bung hole....most people feel that they get to be more trouble than they are worth.

That being said, if you can work around those issues, no reason why is couldn't be used to hold hot liquor, mash/boil in, etc.

Back