This is getting old!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgbrew

Reaction score
Not technically new to brewing but I think it's time to get some opinions. I've brewed around 10 batches beginning with buckets and moving on to the glass carboys. I'm currently using a robobrew V3 and a fermzilla all rounder. I just finished a lutra kveik pseudo lager. Volume and gravity were as advertised. OG 1.052 and FG 1.010. Fermented at 12 psi at around 76 degree ambient temp. Fermentation was done in 3 days but I left it in the fermenter for another 5 days to clean up. Closed transferred it to a keg and carbonated. My question is why do all of my batches have that green apple acetaldehyde flavor no matter how long I leave it in the fermenter or do a diacetyl rest? Maybe it's me but they all have that flavor. Help!

This article is pretty good about acetaldehyde. Looks like it comes primarily as a byproduct of fermentation and from oxidation of ethanol. It sounds like your system is pretty normal, and closed transfer to kegs should eliminate enough oxygen to prevent this. Not to scrutinize your process, but finding ways to eliminate oxygen may help. Diacetyl rest won't help with oxidation and may make the problem worse.

Yeast selection plays a part too. Rip roaring yeast strains like Kviek are probably more likely to produce acetaldehyde, and if they flocculate they can't clean it up. I've had success with WY1272 American Ale II. It has a very pleasant clean flavor with minimal off flavors. I like it much better than Safale 05 or 04.

Also, you could try lower fermentation temperature in future batches. Fermenting at the low end of a strain's range will pump the brakes and encourage the cells to fully ferment and minimize byproduct production.

That said, it may just be that some people are more sensitive to acetaldehyde than others, and you're the lucky winner. I can't say I've ever detected it in my beers, and I've had way worse processes than you.

Keep at it! Try some other yeast strains, tighten your process, and brew more batches. You'll get past it.

Last edited:
This article is pretty good about acetaldehyde. Looks like it comes primarily as a byproduct of fermentation and from oxidation of ethanol. It sounds like your system is pretty normal, and closed transfer to kegs should eliminate enough oxygen to prevent this. Not to scrutinize your process, but finding ways to eliminate oxygen may help. Diacetyl rest won't help with this problem and may make the problem worse.

Yeast selection plays a part too. Rip roaring yeast strains like Kviek are probably more likely to produce acetaldehyde, and if they flocculate they can't clean it up. I've had success with WY1272 American Ale II. It has a very pleasant clean flavor with minimal off flavors. I like it much better than Safale 05 or 04.

Also, you could try lower fermentation temperature in future batches. Fermenting at the low end of a strain's range will pump the brakes and encourage the cells to fully ferment and minimize byproduct production.

That said, it may just be that some people are more sensitive to acetaldehyde than others, and you're the lucky winner. I can't say I've ever detected it in my beers, and I've had way worse processes than you.

Keep at it! Try some other yeast strains, tighten your process, and brew more batches. You'll get past it.
^^^This. Per Palmer rapid fermentation at temps over 60°F and poor oxygenation contributes to acetaldehyde.
I’ve only been disappointed by Kveik yeasts overall.

^^^This. Per Palmer rapid fermentation at temps over 60°F and poor oxygenation contributes to acetaldehyde.
I’ve only been disappointed by Kveik yeasts overall.
I use an oxygen stone to aerate and I've used many different types of ale yeast at lower temps. (I have a refrigerator connected to an inkbird controller). No oxygen exposure after fermentation. I have terrible sinuses and covid twice so maybe I'm just super sensitive to it?

COVID can definitely have adverse effects on your sense of taste and smell. My BIL lost his T&S when he got COVID. When T&S finally started coming back everything smelled and tasted like garbage to him. The only thing he could "eat" that was tolerable was those chocolate flavored "meal" shakes. He literally lived on those for over a year.

All that to say... I wouldn't be surprised if COVID alteration of your sense of taste is the actual problem and not your beer.

Well out of embarrassment I haven't let anyone else taste it except for my wife. Her testing notes are "tastes like light beer". Complex I know. My neighbors only drink cheap beer aka Miller light so their palate is less than refined.

That was my point. The green apple, if that's what you're getting, is very distinctive. You do not need a refined palate. Just trying to rule out a palate issue for you, either real or perceived. The COVID effect has hit several folks I know for many months. Go have a beer with your neighbor.

Well out of embarrassment I haven't let anyone else taste it except for my wife. Her testing notes are "tastes like light beer". Complex I know. My neighbors only drink cheap beer aka Miller light so their palate is less than refined.

Experienced homebrewers will taste your beer and pick out any faults and maybe suggest a solution. Because, most homebrewers have had the same experiences. So, find a local club, or at least a local homebrewer. As I said above, I'm in Clearwater.

Experienced homebrewers will taste your beer and pick out any faults and maybe suggest a solution. Because, most homebrewers have had the same experiences. So, find a local club, or at least a local homebrewer. As I said above, I'm in Clearwater.
Totally missed that post. Sorry about that

Well folks, 4 more days in the keg and apparently what I was "tasting" was the malt finish which my covid riddled brain and crappy sinuses translated into green apple. False alarm but thank you to all who responded with some great ideas. I think I'm gonna like it here
20230201_152151.jpg

Back