This article makes me want to self immolate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://vinepair.com/articles/beer-geek-dictionary/
I know I’ve been guilty of using more than a few of these, but dear lord, do people actually talk like this?
Please tell me I’m not the only sane person left in the room!

Suh fam I know you ain't throwing shade on my brohas and their love for NEEPA culture. I mean beer only became cool when it emulated juice dude get wit 2018. I got so trashed on NEEPA's with my bras the other day we just threw a Pliny the Elder off the overpass. I know so much about beer dude I'm DDH for lyfe.

As someone who used to be very much into the NEIPA hunting scene, yes, people talk like this. Everyone is into different things, different cultures, different hobbies, etc. Don't go shitting on someone because you don't share the interest.

The NEIPA HYPE! breweries have very real cult followers. I've seen and participated in many of the things listed. It's fun once and a while to go hunting for a rare release and brag about it (as if anyone outside the hype beer community cares). I stopped once I realized how much money I was wasting on beer. My room mate and I did a tour of VT one day a couple summers ago, hitting Hill Farmstead, Alchemist, Burlington Beer Co, Frost, Foam, Citizen Cider and then added up the total spent when we got home. It was like $400/person.... stupid. And yet each time I do still go to Tree House I see many many people buying full allotments which these days works out to $600+ per person. It's crazy, and stupid, and it makes them happy so who really cares?

In the same way that you're judging a subculture for terms and habits, some of them likely judge the homebrewing community as a bunch of loser nerds who make mediocre beer while proclaiming it to be better than anything on the market. A bunch of wannabe pros who can't actually hack it.

Let people do what makes them happy, it isn't hurting you in the slightest.

edit: guess I hit the profanity filter in there. I'm leaving it because the substitution is hilarious.

Last edited:
WTF did I just read? Now I'll have to get 'juice wolf' tattooed on my philtrum and grow out my neckbeard.

Thats the spirit my mayne juicedog JayJay gettin' down with huntin down the juiciest dankest choicest NEEPA's and repping the neck hair like a true juicewolf. Yo when you get a pic of your first sick tasty haul don't forget to tag it up! #WolvesofJuiceStreet

As someone who used to be very much into the NEIPA hunting scene, yes, people talk like this. Everyone is into different things, different cultures, different hobbies, etc. Don't go poopyting on someone because you don't share the interest.

The NEIPA HYPE! breweries have very real cult followers. I've seen and participated in many of the things listed. It's fun once and a while to go hunting for a rare release and brag about it (as if anyone outside the hype beer community cares). I stopped once I realized how much money I was wasting on beer. My room mate and I did a tour of VT one day a couple summers ago, hitting Hill Farmstead, Alchemist, Burlington Beer Co, Frost, Foam, Citizen Cider and then added up the total spent when we got home. It was like $400/person.... stupid. And yet each time I do still go to Tree House I see many many people buying full allotments which these days works out to $600+ per person. It's crazy, and stupid, and it makes them happy so who really cares?

In the same way that you're judging a subculture for terms and habits, some of them likely judge the homebrewing community as a bunch of loser nerds who make mediocre beer while proclaiming it to be better than anything on the market. A bunch of wannabe pros who can't actually hack it.

Let people do what makes them happy, it isn't hurting you in the slightest.

edit: guess I hit the profanity filter in there. I'm leaving it because the substitution is hilarious.

I’ve been to most of those breweries and brew NEIPAs on a regular basis. Doesn’t mean I can’t still string together a sentence.

I wonder if Shaun Hill and John Kimmich commit to linelife to get each other’s freshies...

To be fair, I don't do Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat or anything (had to ask my wife what else there was besides FB and Twitter). This site is all of those rolled into one for me.
I have only heard of a couple of the terms, "flocc" comes to mind.
I've never had a NEIPA but maybe I'll try one if someone brings that to a gathering. And I've only been aware of NEIPA for about three months, having seen it mentioned here.
Different world.
Edit: Looked when I joined so I've known about NEIPA for two months or so. Same with citra hops. Never heard of them prior. I guess I never noticed.

The saddest part, is that the article is not satire. Society is doomed.

God I love people who think like this.

This is nothing new. As long as people have had hobbies there have been segments of those most deeply obsessed in that hobby. That inner group always has their own slang and way of talking about that hobby. Common terms from home brewing sound weird as hell to others and I promise you if an article was written about those terms like this one was, someone out there is claiming society is doomed because of it.

It's always easy so make fun of another group of people to make yourself feel superior. Lighten up and let people enjoy what they enjoy.

This is nothing new. As long as people have had hobbies there have been segments of those most deeply obsessed in that hobby. That inner group always has their own slang and way of talking about that hobby. Common terms from home brewing sound weird as hell to others and I promise you if an article was written about those terms like this one was, someone out there is claiming society is doomed because of it.

It's always easy so make fun of another group of people to make yourself feel superior. Lighten up and let people enjoy what they enjoy.

And since forever we have made fun of people who speak strange slang.

Lighten up, Francis.

Article says "ten years ago, most people had not heard of IPA" kind of weird, Ballentine IPA was my daily driver though much of the '80s until it was discontinued.

Things are different now though, on the way to an out of state memorial service, my nephew asked everyone in the car to buy couple of 4 packs(the limit they would sell you of some limited release), at multiple locations, he was pretty sure this was going to impress his friends back home and on social media. I had some, it was pretty good, but I would not wait in line for it.

Hey, anybody remember when glitter beer was cool? That fad ran out before the kraeusen dropped. I do plan to brew some pastry beers tho, just got the latest issue of BYO which contains an article and 4 recipes. Neck beards and donut beers all around!

I see that with two sides, this discussion would never satisfactorily resolve. Fine.

So what do you do if there is an activity that is actually, truly and without prejudice, "bonkers supreme" and those involved in this bonkers activity defend it unto death?
Model ship building, for relaxation purposes (or so they say) comes to mind.
What do you do then? How would an agreement ever be reached?

I see that with two sides, this discussion would never satisfactorily resolve. Fine.

So what do you do if there is an activity that is actually, truly and without prejudice, "bonkers supreme" and those involved in this bonkers activity defend it unto death?
Model ship building, for relaxation purposes (or so they say) comes to mind.
What do you do then? How would an agreement ever be reached?
I design and scratch build model boats, I have about a dozen radio controlled boats including tugboats, speedboats, woodies, and cruisers, plus a few free-sailing sheetboats. It is extremely relaxing and also a rewarding hobby. What exactly am I defending that activity from?

Hey, anybody remember when glitter beer was cool? That fad ran out before the kraeusen dropped. I do plan to brew some pastry beers tho, just got the latest issue of BYO which contains an article and 4 recipes. Neck beards and donut beers all around!
Ugh, Neck Beard is such an outdated term. Its sooo 2 days ago brah, ismell tells me its now known amongst the üb3r-3L33t as a "Neard." He also perfected the juicy donut beer with ddd (doube-dry dounut) and one gal of actual donut juice (don't ask).

Neard! This thread is so much win!
Neck Beard B.jpg

It's not that big of a deal dude. You seem very sensitive about this.

So in your life, you've never once poked fun at somebody or a group, like ever? Not ever? You're completely innocent of ever laughing at something you find silly that someone else does that you find weird? Of course you have. You're just sensitive to this because you were a part of it. Nobody is sending a lynch mob after these people, it's just a joke. Speaking of lightening up, you should take your own advice.

You misread. Make fun if it amuses you. I was responding to the people who point at things like this as a sign society is doomed.

I must be living in a cave. The only one off the list that I've heard is "neckbeard".

How do people think of these slang terms in the first place?

I got half way through list then got bored. Most of the phrases I have seen used on HBT so not sure why the list is being singled out. My unjustified pet peeve is "crushable" for session beers. Seen that numerous times on this board.

Every hobby has slang or similar. When friends and I talk about homebrewing with non brewers they phase out and rightfully mock us. "I'm brewing an oatmeal stout this weekend with multi step mash and EKG. Using 002 and fermenting at 18 degrees. Then going to transfer to spunding vessel with 4 points to go". Absolute gobbledygook!

As someone in their mid twenties who loves beer and the art of brewing and who has lived in the most hipstery of hipster neighborhoods (but not a hipster himself) in Brooklyn, I have not heard of many of these. I CALL SATIRE!!!

As someone in their mid twenties who loves beer and the art of brewing and who has lived in the most hipstery of hipster neighborhoods (but not a hipster himself) in Brooklyn, I have not heard of many of these. I CALL SATIRE!!!

I've never heard most of these either. And as far as my beer drinking group goes.... well... The immortal "Lawrence" from "Office Space" says it best...…

On a related front, say the word "sparge" or "sparging" around someone who isn't a homebrewer and see the reaction you get....

Fads come, and they go. That's why they are fads. I keep hoping the gose fad will go away, and know it will someday. As a former bartender and current fifty-something avid homebrewer, I've seen so many stupid fads have their heyday (red bull and vodka, anyone? Or perhaps a moscow mule?). A few years ago when I was still behind the taps, seeing 20-somethings get offended when we didn't have PBR on tap about made me fall on the floor laughing. Suggest one of the craft beers we had on tap to these children, and watch their collective noses about hit the ceiling. These same kids are now on a witch hunt for whatever beer will give them the most "cred" with their peers (if that is still the term, I'm old and decrepit), the more hard-to-find the better, makes me about hysterical. Getting old has its rewards.

Latest posts

Back